DNS domain problem

cwarn23

Hi, I have a vps and soon a dedicated with 3.2GHz quad but now the devil has come back to haunt me (DNS). On my current vps I can get the domain cwarn23.info to work but all of my addon and parked domains don't work (eg. chatbac.net). They simply can't resolve the host name. I know there is probably some obvious simple solution that I can't find and below is the dns record for chatbac.net

$ttl 38400
@	IN	SOA	cwarn23.info. root.cwarn23.info. (
		38400 )
@	IN	NS	cwarn23.info.
chatbac.net.	IN	A	110.44.25.66
www.chatbac.net.	IN	A	110.44.25.66
ftp.chatbac.net.	IN	A	110.44.25.66
m.chatbac.net.	IN	A	110.44.25.66
localhost.chatbac.net.	IN	A	127.0.0.1
webmail.chatbac.net.	IN	A	110.44.25.66
admin.chatbac.net.	IN	A	110.44.25.66
mail.chatbac.net.	IN	A	110.44.25.66
chatbac.net.	IN	MX	5 mail.chatbac.net.
chatbac.net.	IN	TXT	"v=spf1 a mx a:chatbac.net ip4:110.44.25.66 ?all"

Now does that look right because I am not sure about where it mentions cwarn23.info or whether it should be chatbac.net instead since it's the chatbac.net record. Any ideas or could somebody post a correction and if further details are required for the host name to resolve correctly then please let me know as I'm stuck in the middle of a rock and a hard place. Thanks a million to whoever can solve this.

@ IN SOA cwarn23.info. root.cwarn23.info. (

This is a start of authority.  That means that this record is the authoritative response for cwarn23.info

If you want a start of authority for chatbac.net--you are going to need to specify

@ IN SOA chatbac.net. root.cbatbac.net. (

The start of authority is where other dns servers look to you to find where they can resolve hosts for your domain.  Since no one can find an authoritative answer for chatbac.net, they assume it doesn't exist, and will not look deeper into your config.  (for optimization of performance, and security)

@ IN NS cwarn23.info.

should be

@    IN    NS    domainnameserver.domainnameofyourdomainnameserver.topleveldomainanmeforyourdomainnameserver

where

domainnameserver=the name of your dns server

domainnameofyourdomanmaneserver= the domain name of your domain name server :)  could be cwarn23.

topleveldomainnameforyourdomainnameserver= .local if cwarn23 is correct. 

mxtoolbox says everything is ok:

a:www.chatbac.net     a   

Type Domain Name IP Address TTL

A www.chatbac.net 110.44.25.66 11 hrs

reverse lookup smtp diag port scan blacklist

Reported by chatbac.net on Saturday, April 17, 2010 at 1:06:16 AM (GMT-5)  (History)

a:chatbac.net     a   

A chatbac.net 110.44.25.66 11 hrs

dns lookup ns lookup mx lookup whois lookup

Reported by ns1.cwarn23.info on Saturday, April 17, 2010 at 1:03:32 AM (GMT-5)  (History)

soa:chatbac.net     soa   

Type Domain Name Primary NS Responsible Email TTL

SOA chatbac.net chatbac.net root@chatbac.net 11 hrs

Reported by ns2.cwarn23.info on Saturday, April 17, 2010 at 1:02:57 AM (GMT-5)  (History)

wait for the 11hrs to allow records to expire so they converge.

(go take a nap, and check it when you wake up)

Sorry, looks like SOA is still wrong.

It should start with:

primarynameserver.chatbac.net

which I assume is ns1.chatbac.net

The next line should be an email address such as

root@cwarn23.info  would appear as root.cwarn23.info

So I would change your soa record to:

@  IN  SOA  ns1.chatbac.net. root.chatbac.net. (

if your email address root@chatbac.net is valid.

Sorry for the misinfo,  I thought SOA began with your namespace, not the nameserver

My nameserver is ns1.cwarn23.info to let you know. Also below is my current dns record

$ttl 38400
@	IN	SOA	ns1.cwarn23.info. root.chatbac.net. (
		38400 )
@	IN	NS	ns1.cwarn23.info.
chatbac.net.	IN	A	110.44.25.66
www.chatbac.net.	IN	A	110.44.25.66
ftp.chatbac.net.	IN	A	110.44.25.66
m.chatbac.net.	IN	A	110.44.25.66
localhost.chatbac.net.	IN	A	127.0.0.1
webmail.chatbac.net.	IN	A	110.44.25.66
admin.chatbac.net.	IN	A	110.44.25.66
mail.chatbac.net.	IN	A	110.44.25.66
chatbac.net.	IN	MX	5 mail.chatbac.net.
chatbac.net.	IN	TXT	"v=spf1 a mx a:chatbac.net ip4:110.44.25.66 ?all"

I used ipconfig /dnsflush on my computer to make sure the new dns loads but still it doesn't work. Do you know what's wrong? Thanks.

soa:chatbac.net     soa   

Type Domain Name Primary NS Responsible Email TTL

SOA chatbac.net ns1.cwarn23.info root@chatbac.net 11 hrs

Reported by ns1.cwarn23.info on Sunday, April 18, 2010 at 5:50:41 PM (GMT-5)  (History)

ns:chatbac.net     ns   

NS ns1.cwarn23.info 11 hrs

Reported by ns1.cwarn23.info on Sunday, April 18, 2010 at 5:50:27 PM (GMT-5)  (History)

Your SOA is fine, but your ns1.cwarn23.info is not coming up as a valid dns lookup for your primary nameserver.  Look into your cwarn23.info domain for an:

ns1.cwarn23.info A IP ADDRESS

You can also set up an A record in your chatbac.net for the ip address of ns1.cwarn23.info:

ns1.chatbac.net A 110.44.25.66

I did a lookup of cwarn23.info and it said its primary name server was cwarn23.info  So what I recomend to you is go back to cwarn23.info as your primary name server, or put an A record in chatbac.net for ns1.chatbac.net with the same ip as everything else and use that as your primary name server.  DNS is just a virtual translation protocol, it doesn't have to be the name of the actual computer.

That would mean the dns record in my first post would be correct wouldn't it? If that's right then why didn't cwarn23.info as the namserver work instead of ns1.cwarn23.info?

Yeah, that's the conclusion I came to.  I've never seen a dns server with a SOA with a different domain than the one it relates to.  I'd put a ns.chatbac.net A record with the correct IP address and put that as your SOA and ns.

Is it possible to setup all of my add-on domains without 5 different nameservers for 5 domains? I would preferably like to just have 2 nameservers (ns1.cwarn23.info & ns2.cwarn23.info) then be able to point all domains to that. So how would I arrange the dns records for that?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.