adwords help

thewooleymammoth

Some of you may remember this site froma while ago,

http://www.robertsplumbing.net

He decided to try google adwords last week. He has been getting between 8-12 clicks a day, but he has only gotten one call off of the website.  Does anyone know why or what we can do to make it more appealing?

adwords is costing around 15 bucks a day so he wants to see some business in return.

1) Change from Auto to Manual to make sure Google never tries to bid the entire 25 dollar for one day

2) Look-up some synonyms of your keywords most likely you are using high-value keywords meaning that you probably spend 5 dollar or more for one keyword.

Before Google displays the Ad it holds a bid war the one bidding the highest (auto-mode or man-mode if high enough) for a particular keyword (user-entered) wins. When the user clicks the ad the amount is deducted.

i dont have it on ppd its on ppc, but the budget is 15 per day.

its on manual mode, and the highest keyword we have is 5.50 for the word plumber (which only has 1 click oddly enough)

it is geo targeted to the la area.

most words are .75 - 2.00 dollars.

We are getting clicks too, were not unhappy with that. the problem is that lack of calling after the clicks. Ive asked a couple non-web design average kinda people what they thought of the site and would they call if they were looking for a plumber and came across this site and they all said they loved the simplicity and would definitely call. so idk what the deal is. 8 - 12 visits per day (of people supposedly looking for a plumber) and no calls? i almost feel scammed.

anything you guys would like to see on the site to encourage you to call? or anything that would make you not want to call?

You know oddly enough I would call first off, I like the free estimates part.

+1 on suggestion for contact box, Many people seem to have "gmail" addresses as contacts. If someone can run a business, why can't they run an e-mail? (@robertsblumbing.net for example). A contact box is a nice interface for that problem.

I like the overall look and feel of the site. 

I have to agree with oni-kun on the email.  When I see a business with a gmail or yahoo or other email service address, I immediately think "small time --  This is an individual NOT a business" and I would be hesitant to use them.  If you have your own domain name, your host probably allows at least one email address at that domain.  Even if you set it up to just forward to your gmail, it will give a more professional impression.

Also change the wording slightly on the synopsis.  On the right you say "contact us" but on the left you say "Robert has been ...".  On one hand you imply a company on the other an individual.  Change the wording to something like "Roberts Plumbing has over 26 years experience in the field ..."

If possible, add descriptions to the pictures, use the "TITLE" attribute of the IMG tag on the main page, and, if possible, add a description on the popup image.  That shower looks cool, but the water heater is not very exciting, tell me something about what makes it special enough to be on your home page - not a long story, just the specs or something.  If those are new installations, say so -- "500 gallons of hot water in 5 seconds" or whatever

Another thing that may put people off is that the "site" has only one page.  Think about how you can expand it to a few more.  Don't break it in the process, through.

See if he has some before and after pictures - like a blownup water heater (before) and the beautiful job he did to replace it (after).  This could make a series of additional pages showing work he has done.

I have to scroll to see all of the service area.  Move the contact stuff to the bottom of the right column so the service ares are all visible without scrolling.

I am not hating on your site.  I really like the look, it is very well done.  I am NOT a design expert, all of these suggestions are from the perspective of a consumer looking at a website.  Good luck.

Awesome suggestions guys. I totally agree about the email 100% ill change it asap.

He is gonna be taking some before and after pictures at the next job, however there really havnt been any jobs. so those pictures are all we really have for now. Unfortunate but true.

While Robert does have 26 years experience. Roberts Plumbing is only 8 or 9 years old. I suppose i could include Robert has been plumbing for over 26 years and started roberts plumbing over 9 years ago? maybe that still seems too individualistic?

I am working on writing a few more pages, specifically targeted at garbage disposals, water pressure repairs, hot water heaters etc... things that are the most common. But i have 4 other sites im developing right now, and 2 of them have deadlines that will be coming up rather soon.

Ill try and keep you guys updated about what works and what other solutions i may find (for future searchers of the boards)

Thanks a bunch for the suggestions.

Ok, what stands out to me is I don't see in big bold letters license bonded insured.  That might help.  The site has the look that it could be someone trying to get some plumbing work, not that it is a company who is capable of large projects.  Get creative on how to imply the bigger work, and the small stuff will come.

What do you guys think of the changes ive made?

I made the email changes. (changed email address & changed it so you can contact via page.)

I also added a mousover on all of the services so you can see more pricing information for the individual items. (there is a back end where he can edit the info but for now they all say 'call for more info')

He is getting a job next week for before and after pictures, so those are gonna have to be on the back burner for now.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.