simple INSERT INTO problem

Yawa

I get the $err msg. in my script. But I can't seem to se the problem my self.

Can you fint it?

if ($_POST['submit_new_album'])
{
  if (!val_alb_name($_POST['name'])) {}

else
  {
    $date = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['date']);
    $name = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['name']);
    $desc = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['desc']);

$query = sprintf ("INSERT INTO album (date, name, desc) VALUES ('$date', '$name', '$desc')");
    $result = mysql_query ($query);  //  Her stopper det tipper jeg

if (!$result) { $err = '[NOR]Beklager, men en feil oppstod ved skriving til databasen'; }  //  Here is the error-message i get.
    else { $ok = '[NOR]Ett nytt album er blitt opprettet for deg: '. $_POST['name']; }
  }
}
else {}

And here is the form:

<?php include ('/path/to/script/gallery.php'); ?>
<h1>[NOR]Opprett ett nytt album</h1>
<p><?php print '<strong><span class="green">'. $ok .'</span><span class="red">'. $err .'</span></strong>'; ?></p>
<form name="new_alb" method="post" action="?gdc=galleri&funksjon=nytt-album">
  <table>
    <tr><td></td><td><input name="date" type="hidden" value="20<?php print date ('y-m-d'); ?>" /></td></tr>
    <tr><td>Album-navn:</td><td><input name="name" type="text" size="80" /></td></tr>
    <tr><td></td><td><textarea name="desc" cols="80" rows="5" ></textarea></td></tr>
    <tr><td></td><td><input name="submit_new_album" type="submit" value="opprett"/></td></tr>
  </table>
</form>

I'm using mySQL.

Not sure if it is the same; however, I spent a good hour last night with insert problem - I was using the word "when" as a field name. It seems "when" is a reserved word. The same may be true of "desc" as that is used to determine ORDER BY

Break down

$query = sprintf ("INSERT INTO album (date, name, desc) VALUES ('$date', '$name', '$desc')");

to

$query = "INSERT INTO album (date, name, desc) VALUES ('$date', '$name', '$desc')";

print $query;

This will allow you to look at the query statement to ensure that it is correct and to run it directly against the database.  Also, why are you using sprintf ?

I use sprintf() because of the mysql_real_escape_string(). Isn't that correct? Always used this method. Is ther a better/another way?

This is what i got printet out, and it seems correct.

INSERT INTO album (date, name, desc) VALUES ('2010-05-04', 'Testing', 'Testing...')

I have used these names in other tables aswell, never been a problem. I have several scripts in the same document. But i have done this for lot of documents. In my whole backend

it is very strange because. I have set up this script right above. and it works quite ok:

if (isset($_POST['submit_upl_img']))
{
  if (!val_img($_FILES['img']['name'], $_FILES['img']['tmp_name']) || !val_alt($_POST['alt'])) {}

else
  {
    $sql_ext = mysql_real_escape_string($fileext);
    $date = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['date']);
    $alt = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['alt']);
    $album = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['album']);

$query = sprintf("INSERT INTO gallery_picture (ext, date, alt, album_id) VALUES ('$sql_ext', '$date', '$alt', '$album')");
    $result = mysql_query($query);

if (!$result) { $err = 'OBS! Something went wrong when writing to the database'; }

else
    {
      $filename = mysql_insert_id();
      $query = mysql_query('SELECT * FROM gallery_picture WHERE id = "'. $filename .'"');
      $getfi = mysql_fetch_assoc($query);

if (!create_thumb($getfi['album_id'], $getfi['id'], $fileext, $_FILES['img']['tmp_name']))
      {
        mysql_query('DELETE FROM gallery_picture WHERE id = "'. $filename .'"');
        $err = 'OBS! Something went wrong when uploading the prictures.';
      }
      else
      {
        $ok = 'Picture was uploaded successfully ID: '. $getfi['album_id'] . $getfi['id'];
      }
    }
  }
}
else {}

Togehter with all the functions...

I tried to put the functions and the script in another document. but the problem is still there.

I tried to create a new table in the database with no luck. So i'm stuck here.

By the way, I have set up several others querys later that works fine. The same way. can't see the difference between them.

I could post them if that would help...

My host is bluehost.com.

They couldn't help me with programming questions

Not sure if it is the same; however, I spent a good hour last night with insert problem - I was using the word "when" as a field name. It seems "when" is a reserved word. The same may be true of "desc" as that is used to determine ORDER BY

I thought i had used "desc" before. but it turned out that I have had the same problem then.

I changed it, and now it works perfectly fine.

Thank's for the tip.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.