How long did it take you to learn php?

V

I just started learning and the more I read the more complex it seems. Although I'm having fun and I can't wait to build my own php powered sites.  :D

I'm a pretty quick learner and have some Wordpress knowledge which  helps. I'm hoping to make a decent site after at least 1 year. What was your experience like? ..and the first site you made.

I think it is not really how long it takes to learn php but rather how long it takes for it to "click" that matters. After it "clicked" for me I was able to pick up new languages in a matter of days/weeks instead of months like it took with php.

I think I rewrote it 5 times and then ended up scrapping the idea.

I still do that to this day. I have well over 200 domains and I would bet that 80% or more are from scrapped ideas

You never stop learning with any language, even after 5 years. I would say that you should be able to create a simple website such as a blog after a few weeks of learning through books, tutorials, etc

When you look back at the work you did when you started learning it certainly makes you cringe. I started off modifying existing websites. I can't really remember building my first application from scratch but it will be terrible. It's all part of the learning curve.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.