should i be able to write code from my head?

silverglade

hi, im just learning php, and i was wondering, sometimes my projects got complicated and i forgot how i made them, and in order to duplicate the app i was working on i had to look at all my old code and copy it. should a programmer be able to just remember it and type it out of his head? at this point i cant even type a switch statements out of my head i dont think. so i probably should at least be able to do the simple things from my head , am i right? thanks. derek

ok thanks very much that is what i will do then. and i will try to recode whenever i can to get it into my head rather than cutting and pasting it. i think being able to just write and think code is best even if it takes longer in the beginning. right now im just going over the w3schools.com php tutorials and im typing out thet examples this time instead of just reading them and saying "ok i got this". and typing out the code you learn MUCH better because you learn about typos and other errors you might make when coding. thanks for the info. derek

IMO it's not great problem if you can't remember the exact syntax of something so long as you have an idea of the right syntax and knowledge of where to find it. For example I can never remember the exact DTDs to use, but as I have a short-cut in my editor for inserting it, it's not a problem. Another example would be if I needed to send HTML e-mails, I know there's certain headers that need to be sent to get widespread support, I can't tell you off the top of my head what they are, but I can look them up easy enough in another project. Sure it would be nice if I could remember this things, but web development is such a widespread 'topic' that you couldn't remember everything if you wanted to.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.