Data Entry Flicker, and Select => Single Line

Hi Folks,

Long time user of your fine discussion board.

Recently, however, it seems some change has been made to these boards which messes with data entry and "Select" for cut-n-paste.

During data entry, if the post is too long, the bottom of the post gets shoved up serveral lines while typing.

(You can't "see" the line you are typing.) 

Also, when you select out of a code box, and paste into an editor, it resolves to a single line, and one has to "fix" the code to indent properly.  Kind of a pain for long scripts / code.

The "change" may have been on my end, as I recently updated to IE 8.  If that is the cause of the problem, I would like to see your boards behave with IE 8.

Thanks for the best web coding help board on the web.

(Whoops, after the last line, this screen started flickering,...)

Scot L. Diddle, Richmond VA .

cags,

I'ts not up to the user's of your site to ensure that it works correctly.  I know IE (and, M$ in general) are akin to the slime on the bottom of the Mariana Trench ( off of the south end of Guam ), but it's what most folks use.  I have to use IE when writing code because that is what most of our customer's use.  If I hear from a customer that our site miss-behaves while using certain browser ( think IE and Safari ), it is up to me to fix MY code.

If the board admins do not want to correct their problems, the popularity of phpfreaks.com will wane, and that would be ashame, since this is one of the most active boards related to web development out there.

Scot L. Diddle, Richmond VA

I'ts not up to the user's of your site to ensure that it works correctly

Well as I'm a user of the site, I guess it's not my problem.

I have to use IE when writing code because that is what most of our customer's use.  If I hear from a customer that our site miss-behaves while using certain browser ( think IE and Safari ), it is up to me to fix MY code.

It's up to you to fix YOUR code, ok fair enough, sure. So as I originally stated this board is made by SMF, so that's now two counts where it's not my problem thanks for pointing that out.

If the board admins do not want to correct their problems, the popularity of phpfreaks.com will wane, and that would be ashame, since this is one of the most active boards related to web development out there.

The last update was made about 6 months ago, it's taken you this long to notice, nobody else has complained and I've certainly not seen the popularity of the site wane any.

Regards,

- Pete

Just for shits and giggles.

You can go ahead and download SMF 2.0 RC2, and install it then fix it yourself and email the files to an Admin suggesting they update this, and also upload it to SMF so they can fix their core code as well. As far as anyone else going to do this, no chance. I have never had any problems with the forums and if you are using IE8 switch it to compatability mode and see how that jives or, GASP, switch to a real browser like Chrome or Firefox!

cags,

Actually, after I made my post today, I found this http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,290108.0.html on this board.

To start the ball rolling, I un-installed IE 8, and am back to IE 7.  All is well.

So, SMF doen't play nice with IE 8.

I hope you can tell by my original post that I am a fan ( and an active member ) of phpfreaks.com.

Your reply indicated that you have the authority to speak for the owner of this site.  I guess you don't.

YOU don't want to fix it; neither do I.  I just want to work with a site that supports all of the major browers correctly.

I find it beneficial to try to help others who post questions ( as well as asking a few myself ), but with IE 8 not working, I cannot afford the time to un-scramble the single line cut-n-paste output that SMF returns during "Select" processing, and as such, have begun ignoring questions I might be able to answer.

If the board admins read this thread and take it upon themselves to contact SMF for a fix, fine; otherwise, I am the customer and I am Always Right !  ;)

Scot L. Diddle, Richmond VA

Daniel0,

Simple enough... For \[code\] box content that have the "Select" button and you click the button, all of the "code" is selected ready for right-click (copy) or Ctrl-C... This places the content into you windows clip-board... When you paste into notepad, Zend Studio, Ulta-Edit, or what ever, the pasted code come out as a single line.

It also happens with drag-n-select, Ctrl-C from within \[php\] tags.

Vis:

if (!isset($_POST['_user'])){header("location: index.html");/* TODO */}else{$url = $_POST['_user'];if (preg_match('/^http:\/\/rapidshare.com\/files/',$url)){ $cookie=$accounts[min_key($leftmb)]; $url_parsed = parse_url($url); $host = $url_parsed['host']; $path = $url_parsed['path']; $out = "GET $path HTTP/1.0\r\nHost: $host\r\nCookie: user=$cookie\r\n\r\n"; $fp = fsockopen($host, 80, $errno, $errstr, 30) or die("<script>alert('File not Found.')</script>"); fwrite($fp, $out); while (!feof($fp)) { $page .= fgets($fp, 128); } fclose($fp); preg_match ('/Location: ([^ ]*)\r\n/',$page, $matches); $url = $matches[1]; $url_parsed = parse_url($url); $host = $url_parsed['host']; $path = $url_parsed['path']; if ($url_parsed['query'] != '') $path .= "?".$url_parsed['query']; $out = "GET $path HTTP/1.1\r\nHost: $host\r\nCookie: user=$cookie\r\n\r\n"; $fp = @fsockopen($host, 80, $errno, $errstr, 30) or die("<script>alert('File not found.')</script>"); fwrite($fp, $out);$ok = 0;while (!feof($fp)) {$line = fgets($fp, 8192);if ($ok==1){echo $line;}else{if (preg_match('/(HTTP\/1)|(Date:)|(Connection:)|(Content-Type:)|(Accept-Ranges:)|(Content-Disposition:)|(Content-Length:)/', $line)){If (preg_match('/Content-Type: text\/html/', $line)){die ("<script>alert('Over Bandwidth. We are sorry :(')</script>");}header ("$line\r\n");}if ($line=="\r\n") $ok=1;}}fclose($fp);//}}?>

(From: http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,298777.0.html)

Edit: The single-line paste occured while using IE 7.

Scot L . Diddle, Richmond VA

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.