info on subversion and how to's

nadeem

i cant install subversion on my linux box because we have blocked it from internet access.

I have a hosting servive and i have the root password and can create many accounts and have ftp and shell.

Can i use subversion on that ?

You sure can. Just google, "version of linux svn install"  where version of linux is the version your box hosts. If it is debian based a simple "aptitude install svn svn-admin" should get you the SVN installed, the svn-admin tool is how you will create the svn repositories.

But yes, there is ample amounts of information on how to do this through google. Try googling it.

• 4 weeks later...

thanks i will let you know how that goes, i noticed on my windows machien tehre is tortoise svn, do you think i shoudl go down that rout ?

Tortoise is an svn client (a pretty crap one at that). Are you looking up setting up a server?

thanks i will let you know how that goes, i noticed on my windows machien tehre is tortoise svn, do you think i shoudl go down that rout ?

Tortoise is an svn client (a pretty crap one at that). Are you looking up setting up a server?

Iv had a 3 year career as a developer and i get about to different companies, been to 2 big isp's with subversion and development with 10 users and open source ide, iv been to low level web host manager places, im at one of them right now in a permanat job; basicaly just setting up a proper system for them atm projects just flowing in and im just doing them i got my IDE sorted out using public key auth now i just need to setup subversion, at some point im gona have a few developers under me so i need to integrate it properly into the ide and cycle, i need to setup scripts for upload from dev to live etc etc.

both isp's i worked at the boss man sorted teh subversion for me and let me develop on them, 2nd isp was 10 developers before just 2 developers, been in team of 4 with another 2 developers and now am the sole developer in a team of 4. done soem freelance last month but am perm again.

i think i need more explanation of the svn client server integration, i always thogh u just have a server and your ide is a client using its plugin ???

We really don't need all that information.

i think i need more explanation of the svn client server integration, i always thogh u just have a server and your ide is a client using its plugin ???

There are many different clients available for subversion. The command line 'svn' being the most popular. Most IDE's (that I've used anyway) simply provide another interface to the 'svn' command.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.