Not replacing $reply?

3raser

Why isn't $message_spaces making it so $reply has spaces in it? When someone presses enter, it should make spaces in their post.

$before = array("\r\n", "\n", "\r");
$after = array("<br/>", "<br/>", "<br/>");
$message_spaces = str_replace($before, $after, $reply);

<?php session_start(); ?>
<style>
a {
color:black;
font-weight:bold;
}

holder {
width:600px;
}

table {
width:600px;
}
</style>
<?php
$session = $_SESSION['user'];
$thread = $_GET['thread'];

mysql_connect($mysql_host, $mysql_user, $mysql_password);
mysql_select_db($mysql_database);

$get_thread_exist = mysql_query("SELECT COUNT(id) FROM topics WHERE id='$id'");
$reply = $_POST['message'];
$reply = mysql_real_escape_string($reply);
$thread_post = $_POST['hidden'];
$ip = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];
$date = date("M-D-Y");

$get_thread_lock = mysql_query("SELECT locked FROM topics WHERE id='$id'");
$locked = mysql_fetch_assoc($get_thread_lock);

$after = array("<br/>", "<br/>", "<br/>");
$message_spaces =  nl2br($reply);
if(!$session)
{

echo "<center><div class='holder'><table border='1'><tr><td><center>Sorry, you must be logged in to access this page! <a href='index.php'>Home</a></center> <br/></td></tr></table></div></center>";
}
elseif(!$thread && !$thread_post)
{
	echo "". $locked ."<center><div class='holder'><table border='1'><tr><td><center>You haven't selected a thread to reply to! <a href='index.php'>Home</a></center> <br/></td></tr></table></div></center>";
}
elseif(!$get_thread_exist)
{
	echo "<center><div class='holder'><table border='1'><tr><td><center>You are trying to reply to a thread that doesn't exist! <a href='index.php'>Home</a></center> <br/></td></tr></table></div></center>";
}
elseif($locked['locked'] == 1)
{
	echo "<center><div class='holder'><table border='1'><tr><td><center>This topic is locked! <a href='viewtopic.php?id=". $id ."'>Back to topic</a></center> <br/></td></tr></table></div></center>";
}
elseif(!$reply)
{
 echo "<center><div class='holder'><table border='1'><tr><td><center><form action='reply.php' method='POST'><br/>Message: <br/><textarea name='message' rows='20' cols='35' maxlength='3000'></textarea><br/><br/> <input type='hidden' value='". $thread ."' name='hidden'><input type='submit' value='Submit Post'></form></center> <br/></td></tr></table></div></center>";
}
elseif(strlen($reply) >= 15)
{
	mysql_query("INSERT INTO posts VALUES ('', '$ip', '$date', '$session', '$message_spaces', '$thread_post')");
	mysql_query("UPDATE users SET postcount = postcount + 1 WHERE username='$session'");
	mysql_query("UPDATE topics SET replies = replies + 1 WHERE  id='$thread_post'");
  echo "<center><div class='holder'><table border='1'><tr><td><center>Your post has been posted! <a href='viewtopic.php?id=". $thread_post ."'>Go back to thread</a>.</center> <br/></td></tr></table></div></center>";
}
else
{
 echo "<center><div class='holder'><table border='1'><tr><td><center>Sorry, you need to have at least 15 characters in your post!</center> <br/></td></tr></table></div></center>";
}

?>

And I can't view the source, my website host doesn't display the part that shows the messages.

You lost me there a little bit. If it gets sent to the browser, you should be able to view the html page source via the menu View --> Page Source, or something similar. However, that doesn't really matter at this point. The question I have is: are you trying to replace line feeds/new lines with spaces or html line breaks?

Ok, here, this what I'm trying to do:

When someone is typing in a text field, and they press ENTER - I want it so PHP knows that, and they make it a <br/> tag. If you just do this in the textarea:

hey

there

It would be:

hey there

I think you might be conflating an html line break (<br />) with a space.

If you replace \r, \n, or \r\n with <br />'s, it will still display the same in the browser. If I were to type into  a <textarea> :

I am\n

the one\n

\n

and only.\n

Then replace the \n new lines with <br />'s it would still be rendered by the browser as

I am

the one

and only.

Unless I'm completely misreading your posts, I think what you want is more along the lines of this to change new lines and CRs to spaces.

$message_spaces = str_replace($before, ' ', $reply);

I looked at the code you posted and don't see where you're displaying the message. You're storing it in the database, but not displaying it.

The nl2br function should be used when displaying the content, not when storing the content.

Ken

No.....I want it so when someone presses enter a new LINE is made.....

I wasn't trying to be difficult, but you were saying you wanted one thing, then providing an example of something different. It's always best to clarify what someone actually wants before you try to give an answer . . .

I looked at the code you posted and don't see where you're displaying the message. You're storing it in the database, but not displaying it.

The nl2br function should be used when displaying the content, not when storing the content.

Ken

So I should switch back to my original code? And why doesn't it work either?

like everyone else said, nl2br --- if you have something that addslashes when going into the database you made need to do a str_replace("\\\\", "\\", $string);

I have mysql_real_escape_string....so I guess that counts? Would it effect my security?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.