the "upgrade your browser" campaign

Grandioso

I've made this site using only 2 images and CSS3. It looks absolutely horrible in IE8 (on purpose).

I'll put it on all my websites so all my visitors can see it.

http://upgrade.grandioso.org/english.html

I've used the following CSS3 stuff :

text-shadow, box-shadow, gradient, font-face, transform, multiple backgrounds, border-radius

So what do you think ?

I hate the font.  It's hard on the eyes regardless of what browser one uses.

Do you really think you need to inform people of what a web browser actually is?  They're viewing your site on the internet... I think they at least know what a browser is.  People who don't upgrade their browsers are ignorant, not retarded.

There's a lot of jargon without any context.  Most users don't know or care about what XHTML or CSS is.  They care about content - that's it.  So, instead of saying "technologies x will eventually be replaced by technologies y", without anything to really illustrate the point, have a series of comparison shots.  Show popular websites in IE 6 compared to modern browsers.  Facebook, Twitter, NY Times, CNN, ESPN, etc.  Show, don't tell.

@ font -  Maybe I have a weird taste, but I like it and this one fits the best with the design (of all the fonts I had in my PC when designing it). I've noticed some readability issues on windows because of rendering - I've increased the size to 18px. Is it better now ?

@ignorants - You sure ? I know a lotta people who don't know what a WB is (people who just push the on/off button on their PC and click the mouse) :D On the other hand...I'm not sure if they would even bother trying to upgrade thei browser. Anyway, I don't think the fact that I point out what a browser is would offend anyone so I'm keeping it.

@jargon - A LOT ?!? I've only mentioned it once, dude.

The problem is, that the popular websites are IE6-optimised, or aren't they ? And that is exactly the point of this site. People see it in their browser, compare it with the screenshot and if they aren't satisfied with what they see... well then they must know what to do...

<!--[if gte IE 8]>
			<p>
				Your browser : Microsoft Internet Explorer, version 8 (or newer)
			</p>
			<p>
				You're using the newest version of Internet Explorer, but it's still Internet Explorer ! It's support for the newest technologies is very poor, if any. I recommend you to check out the "Recommended Browsers" section and choose a modern browser !
			 </p>
		<![endif]-->	

I hate IE with passion but there are people out there who simply don't know that other browsers exist. Now you're telling them that the way they are browsing the web sucks. I can see how this can actually deter people from upgrading. Perhaps elaborating a bit on why they should give up IE, with a couple of carefully chosen examples, might help?

I like the general idea though.

@ font -  Maybe I have a weird taste, but I like it and this one fits the best with the design (of all the fonts I had in my PC when designing it). I've noticed some readability issues on windows because of rendering - I've increased the size to 18px. Is it better now ?

Not really.  Looks a bit blurry to me.

@ignorants - You sure ? I know a lotta people who don't know what a WB is (people who just push the on/off button on their PC and click the mouse) :D On the other hand...I'm not sure if they would even bother trying to upgrade thei browser. Anyway, I don't think the fact that I point out what a browser is would offend anyone so I'm keeping it.

You answered your own question here.  Those people that are virtually computer illiterate won't bother changing browsers.  They aren't your audience.  The people that are your audience are people who already know what a browser is.

@jargon - A LOT ?!? I've only mentioned it once, dude.

It's still unnecessary.  Do you really think that your audience will care about the lingo?  That they'll give a hoot about HTML 5 or CSS 3?  It could be puppy kisses and unicorn farts, for all they know.  And it still doesn't say anything beyond "technology is advancing."  It's essentially a paragraph long truism.

The problem is, that the popular websites are IE6-optimised, or aren't they ? And that is exactly the point of this site. People see it in their browser, compare it with the screenshot and if they aren't satisfied with what they see... well then they must know what to do...

Why would they care about what your site looks like when, as you say, the popular sites still look fine?  Why would they want to change when, as you say, the technological changes won't be official until 2022?

I get it as a developer.  Most users couldn't care less so long as Facebook and Twitter work.  You need to make a convincing argument to those people.  Describing the changes in technology in the vaguest of terms and showing how messed up your site looks in an old browser isn't compelling.

Also, none of this addresses the fact that most people unwittingly update browsers when they buy new computers.  Modern sites will still cater to the old browsers long enough so that many people wont have to manually upgrade anyway.

Again, not saying that I disagree with you, but rather you need to think like a typical end user - a lazy skeptic.  Make a compelling argument, one that will make them upgrade rather than feel that IE6-7 is good enough for now.

Font is terrible. A plethora or spelling, gramatical errors. Colours clash. Who is this site intended for? These are your recommended browsers, not anyone elses! Microsoft were forced to display a message to Internet Explorer / Windows users giving them the option to choose from a variety of web browsers. This was a recent thing.

This is ridiculous to have on your site:

This page was only tested on the latest versions of Firefox, Chrome, Opera and Safari browsers (Opera doesn't display CSS3 gradients). The design consists of only 2 images with a size less than 24kb (altogether) and no Javascript.

Can you imagine if you browsed to Google and a message was on the screen saying, "We couldn't be arsed testing this site for your web browser. None of us here like your browser so you better upgrade it to something else. Don't come back to our website becasuse we don't care about you at all!"

The first thing I notice about your website, is the font...it makes your website look like a site made about 10 years ago. There is a grammatical error within the first half of your page...

"It's a computer software which enables you to view this site..."

as opposed to...

"A web browser is a piece of computer software which can enable you to view websites..."

People do not really wish to know that anyway as they are not stupid. Also, the people who want to know about this information already know about it...as it's mostly developers who look for new techniques to be able to use within this modern world. However, you will find that most (if not all) web developers have created a fix for older browsers to be able to see the website just like the most updated browser.

As for an actual webpage...all one font?...Are you serious? Just because you think it is cool doesn't make it entirely legible to everyone else. If you at least want to improve the look of the website look up some pages on typography and grid layouts.

The way you have 'recommended' browsers is not effective. First of all, you have 4 different browsers, which is nearly of them except for Internet Explorer. The way you should show these is to give a bit of a description as to why you recommend them.

Other stuff I want to mention has already been mentioned above.

I agree, the font on this site is dreadful, and some of the information is somewhat condescending. Try and lighten the mood a bit, give interesting and valid reasons for why they should update their browser, not just saying that its bad.

These are your recommended browsers, not anyone elses!

Really ? Then what are your recommended browsers ?

There are 5 major browsers out now and one of them sucks. And if you think otherwise... I have nothing more to tell you.

This is ridiculous to have on your site:

This page was only tested on the latest versions of Firefox, Chrome, Opera and Safari browsers (Opera doesn't display CSS3 gradients). The design consists of only 2 images with a size less than 24kb (altogether) and no Javascript.

Can you imagine if you browsed to Google and a message was on the screen saying, "We couldn't be arsed testing this site for your web browser. None of us here like your browser so you better upgrade it to something else. Don't come back to our website becasuse we don't care about you at all!"

Ummm, actually, I can !  ;)

Could anyone please give me a screenshot of what you see. I'm on ubuntu and the font looks OK, no blur or anything.

You convinced me... I'm removing the first paragraph.

I would like to put up some comparing screenshots, but I don't have IE6 (I'm on ubuntu as I said) and I wouldn't like to waste much more time on this website. Does anyone happen to have something useful for me ?

Ummm, actually, I can !

This covers redundant browsers. Nothing to do with IE8 which you obviously have issue with. This is your opinion. There are may IE users that are very happy. It is still the biggest browser in use.

Really ? Then what are your recommended browsers ?

There are 5 major browsers out now and one of them sucks. And if you think otherwise... I have nothing more to tell you.

What if you have a disability such as impaired vision or are colourblind? Would you recommend the same browsers? I do not recommend any browser. Each one has pros & cons. It is upto each individual to try them out and see which one they like. It is upto you as the developer to ensure that you make your work compatible with all or the majority of browsers that are used on the web. You should not try to force users to change, they will just ignore and move away. I have and use all the major browsers on my desktop.

• 1 month later...

err...

googlefirebug.png

A website should be viewed the same in every browser, then you have stable grounds to effectively convince others to listen to what you are offering etc.

You should not punish the viewer simply because they are using a browser that you do not agree with.

Some people may not be as knowledgeable as others when it comes to these things.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.