Break the Network website review

colmustard

Hi colmustard,

Okay, I like the name of your site - very clear and quirky.

the wrap around menu titles look cool (recent posts, archives etc). To be honest, the scrolling "Hi, we're envato" is really annoying and should at the very least have more of a delay on it... ideally offer more than just the two images that I saw.

Perhaps the off-state buttons for "about us" etc should be more prominent. I know what you're trying to do there, but they probably need just a bit more clarity - they currently fade into the grey of the top bar.

I'm guessing that the photoshop tutorial is the only panel that has something, because the others are empty and even the photoshop tutorial doesn't go anywhere - I suppose this is a content issue and will be sorted after launch, but it might be worth having a few things on there prior to letting the public loose on it.

For wordpress, this is pretty good, design-wise. I like tag clouds but do wonder whether there's really a need for it when your colourful navigation is so clear.

When i first load the homepage, it shows me all the "Hi, we're envato" images very briefly, before refreshing after a second or so and displaying properly. This is probably a coding error.

There's not much more i can comment on, but I hope that was helpful.

I wonder whether you might be able to comment on my website now... there's a topic in this forum for it.

Thanks.

Neil

Yeah just for clarification those envato banners were just place holders until I had more articles posted. I removed them since I just posted my 2nd article.

Also Clarification on what you think would help with the navigation would be helpful.

And yes I'll be happy to review your website :)

Yeah just for clarification those envato banners were just place holders until I had more articles posted. I removed them since I just posted my 2nd article.

They still scroll way too fast IMO. 3 seconds is not enough time for someone to understand a banner (especially one with lots of text.) Aim for a minimum for 5 seconds, but I recommend around 7-9 sec.

Other things that jump out to me upon landing:

I'm not a big fan of the search box. The text doesn't really flow within, and I think the main reason is the search button. It really needs more padding from the text to the edge of the button. Also the button doesn't really match the style of the other graphics on the site. Most of them have the glossy look, while this one does not.

There are way too many different font faces going on. I see 3, maybe 4 different font faces on the top 600px of your site? I think this should be cut down to 2, but that's just me.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.