Building strings

The Little Guy

I was thinking how can I make a script that will build strings incrementing through each letter starting with "a" and ending with "zzzzzz" or what ever ending length I want such as 12.

So if your were to output everything, you could find the words:

"dog"

"spider"

"superman"

"hippo"

etc

What would be the best way to do this, so I don't have to have a loop that is 500 blocks deep to show a word that is 500 letters

example

a

z

aa

ab

ac

az

ba

bb

bc

aaa

aab

aac

Maybe this example will help. Just follow the pattern:

a
b
c
d
e
f
g
h
i
j
k
l
m
n
o
p
q
r
s
t
u
v
w
x
y
z
aa
ab
ac
ad
ae
af
ag
ah
ai
aj
ak
al
am
an
ao
ap
aq
ar
as
at
au
av
aw
ax
ay
az
ba
bb
bc
bd
be
aaa
aab
aac
aad
aae
aaf
aba
abb
abc
abd
aaaa
aaab
aaac
abaa
abab
abac

basically it walks its way through every string combination possible (using a looping method) with a string no longer than the defined max length and displaying them all on the screen (CLI).

so, if there was a string max length of 10 and only using a-z lowercase there is a maximum of 141,167,095,653,376 combinations (26^10)

The computer running the program will be dead before it finishes. You've got the number 9and obviously the time), work out how long it will take to finish if 1 iteration took 1 hundredth of 1 second.

What exactly do you hope to achieve by doing this?

Well I could see wanting to generate maybe words or numbers at random. But like the above persons said expect the server to just puke,exhaust, time out or w/e else with trying that many.

It's just too many to produce.

Now maybe if did in itsy bitsy steps and started saving either to text files or a database, then maybe you can.

I sat here writing up something you can at least play with to try to suit your needs.

Maybe it can give you some ideas, the end result I limited it to just showing words with length of 3, so if changed that to 2 or 1 would see the others.

<?php
$positions = 1;
$i = 0;
for ($i = 0;$i<$positions;$i++) {
  foreach ( range('a','z') as $alphabet) {
  $the_alphabet[] =  $alphabet;
}

}
if (++$i == $positions) break;

foreach($the_alphabet as $k1 =>$v1){
    $words[]=$v1;
    foreach($the_alphabet as $k2 => $v2){
        $words[]=$v2;
        $words[]="$v1$v2";
        foreach($the_alphabet as $k3 => $v3){
            $words[]=$v3;
            $words[]="$v1$v2$v3";
            $words[]="$v1$v3$v2";
        }
    }
}
$words = array_unique($words);
sort($words);
foreach($words as $word){
$word_length = strlen($word);
if ($word_length == 3) { //try 2 or 1
    echo "$word<br>";
}
}
?>

for($i= 'a'; $i <'zz'; $i++) echo $i;

not tested

output:

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzaaabacadaeafagahaiajakalamanaoapaqarasatauavawaxayazbabbbcbdbebfbgbhbibjbkblbmbnbobpbqbrbsbtbubvbwbxbybzcacbcccdcecfcgchcicjckclcmcncocpcqcrcsctcucvcwcxcyczdadbdcdddedfdgdhdidjdkdldmdndodpdqdrdsdtdudvdwdxdydzeaebecedeeefegeheiejekelemeneoepeqereseteuevewexeyezfafbfcfdfefffgfhfifjfkflfmfnfofpfqfrfsftfufvfwfxfyfzgagbgcgdgegfggghgigjgkglgmgngogpgqgrgsgtgugvgwgxgygzhahbhchdhehfhghhhihjhkhlhmhnhohphqhrhshthuhvhwhxhyhziaibicidieifigihiiijikiliminioipiqirisitiuiviwixiyizjajbjcjdjejfjgjhjijjjkjljmjnjojpjqjrjsjtjujvjwjxjyjzkakbkckdkekfkgkhkikjkkklkmknkokpkqkrksktkukvkwkxkykzlalblcldlelflglhliljlklllmlnlolplqlrlsltlulvlwlxlylzmambmcmdmemfmgmhmimjmkmlmmmnmompmqmrmsmtmumvmwmxmymznanbncndnenfngnhninjnknlnmnnnonpnqnrnsntnunvnwnxnynzoaobocodoeofogohoiojokolomonooopoqorosotouovowoxoyozpapbpcpdpepfpgphpipjpkplpmpnpopppqprpsptpupvpwpxpypzqaqbqcqdqeqfqgqhqiqjqkqlqmqnqoqpqqqrqsqtquqvqwqxqyqzrarbrcrdrerfrgrhrirjrkrlrmrnrorprqrrrsrtrurvrwrxryrzsasbscsdsesfsgshsisjskslsmsnsospsqsrssstsusvswsxsysztatbtctdtetftgthtitjtktltmtntotptqtrtstttutvtwtxtytzuaubucudueufuguhuiujukulumunuoupuqurusutuuuvuwuxuyuzvavbvcvdvevfvgvhvivjvkvlvmvnvovpvqvrvsvtvuvvvwvxvyvzwawbwcwdwewfwgwhwiwjwkwlwmwnwowpwqwrwswtwuwvwwwxwywzxaxbxcxdxexfxgxhxixjxkxlxmxnxoxpxqxrxsxtxuxvxwxxxyxzyaybycydyeyfygyhyiyjykylymynyoypyqyrysytyuyvywyxyyyzzazbzczdzezfzgzhzizjzkzlzmznzozpzqzrzsztzuzvzwzxzy

not tested

output:

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzaaabacadaeafagahaiajakalamanaoapaqarasatauavawaxayazbabbbcbdbebfbgbhbibjbkblbmbnbobpbqbrbsbtbubvbwbxbybzcacbcccdcecfcgchcicjckclcmcncocpcqcrcsctcucvcwcxcyczdadbdcdddedfdgdhdidjdkdldmdndodpdqdrdsdtdudvdwdxdydzeaebecedeeefegeheiejekelemeneoepeqereseteuevewexeyezfafbfcfdfefffgfhfifjfkflfmfnfofpfqfrfsftfufvfwfxfyfzgagbgcgdgegfggghgigjgkglgmgngogpgqgrgsgtgugvgwgxgygzhahbhchdhehfhghhhihjhkhlhmhnhohphqhrhshthuhvhwhxhyhziaibicidieifigihiiijikiliminioipiqirisitiuiviwixiyizjajbjcjdjejfjgjhjijjjkjljmjnjojpjqjrjsjtjujvjwjxjyjzkakbkckdkekfkgkhkikjkkklkmknkokpkqkrksktkukvkwkxkykzlalblcldlelflglhliljlklllmlnlolplqlrlsltlulvlwlxlylzmambmcmdmemfmgmhmimjmkmlmmmnmompmqmrmsmtmumvmwmxmymznanbncndnenfngnhninjnknlnmnnnonpnqnrnsntnunvnwnxnynzoaobocodoeofogohoiojokolomonooopoqorosotouovowoxoyozpapbpcpdpepfpgphpipjpkplpmpnpopppqprpsptpupvpwpxpypzqaqbqcqdqeqfqgqhqiqjqkqlqmqnqoqpqqqrqsqtquqvqwqxqyqzrarbrcrdrerfrgrhrirjrkrlrmrnrorprqrrrsrtrurvrwrxryrzsasbscsdsesfsgshsisjskslsmsnsospsqsrssstsusvswsxsysztatbtctdtetftgthtitjtktltmtntotptqtrtstttutvtwtxtytzuaubucudueufuguhuiujukulumunuoupuqurusutuuuvuwuxuyuzvavbvcvdvevfvgvhvivjvkvlvmvnvovpvqvrvsvtvuvvvwvxvyvzwawbwcwdwewfwgwhwiwjwkwlwmwnwowpwqwrwswtwuwvwwwxwywzxaxbxcxdxexfxgxhxixjxkxlxmxnxoxpxqxrxsxtxuxvxwxxxyxzyaybycydyeyfygyhyiyjykylymynyoypyqyrysytyuyvywyxyyyzzazbzczdzezfzgzhzizjzkzlzmznzozpzqzrzsztzuzvzwzxzy

I knew it'd work, see :D

not tested

output:

I knew it'd work, see :D

Now explain why it does this ;)

I decided to try and throw some symbols, upper case letters and lower case letters in there as well... Doesn't work too well:

$start = 32;
$fin = 126;
$depth = 1;

$i = $start;
while(true){
$opt = '';
for($d=0;$d<=$depth;$d++){
	$opt .= chr($i);
	if($d == $depth){
		$depth++;
		break;
	}
}
echo $opt."\n";
$i++;
}

Oh, and btw if you don't want it to end:

$i = 'a';
while($i){
echo $i."\n";
$i++;
}

Well here's the best way by far.

I guess can even do sets of the 26 letters as well, something like show single letters, then show 2 letters, then show 3 letters and so on , but just do them in ranges so don't have to produce what you don't need.

<?php
$how_many_you_want = 50000;//each number will add an extra line/sequential alphabet string

function seqAlphabet($numbers)
{
  $alphabet = '';
  while($numbers >= 1) {
    $numbers = $numbers - 1;
    $alphabet = chr(($numbers % 26)+97) . $alphabet;
    $numbers = $numbers / 26;
  }
  return $alphabet;
}
$string_position = range('1',$how_many_you_want);
foreach ($string_position as $position) {
echo seqAlphabet($position) . "<br />";
}
?>

Using this:

$i = 'a';
$c = 1;
while(true){
echo $c.'. '.$i."\n";
if($i == 'ryan')
	exit;
$i++;
$c++;
}

This is how long it took to find my name :)

333308. ryan

See how long it takes to find my name: Dromodor Kastalian

It doesn't handle spaces

That's ok. You can just use my native first name: dromodorialmakirvahumvete

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.