Waste of space: tick box for not having smileys?

OM2

I've always wondered something: why is there an option tick box not to use smileys for ALL bulletin boards/forums?

(I say ALL- maybe I should say most)

Was there a good reason for it originally?

Was it for miserable people who just don't like smiley icons?

I can't think of why! But there must have been a reason

Whatever, nowadays: there is surely no reason for it to be there?

I'm sure there must be a rational explanation!

Else: we're wasting pixel space on our machines and using up tiny amounts of extra electricity as a result!!

We could probably save a small rainforest by stopping the usage of ' Don't use smileys.'

:(  8)  :-[  ;)  :shy:  :D  :wtf:  :'(  :-\  :-*  ;D  :confused:  ::)  :o  :shrug:  :rtfm:  >:(  :)  :P 

OM

Character combinations that correspond to smiles can have meaning as characters (especially in a programming help forum.) So, having the ability to post text that contains those character combinations without them being replaced with a smiley has its uses, a couple of times a year :happy-04:

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.