procedural Desktop programming

max_w1

Hi guys,

I have been programming in php since 4years, but now i have got a project where i have to developed a desktop application which will be updating the MySql Database which is stored online.

Since this is not a very big or complicated project i will be better to use the Procedural method of programming, cos it would take me long time to learn and develope the application.

I would like to know if there is a procedural programming language that can devolope the application. And The important this is it should be able to contact with the MySql database located online.  I have heard that Agena is good option when it comes to Procedural programming in Windows but i don't know if it can interact with the online MySql.

I would be glad if someone helps me out with this confusion.

Thanks In Advance

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply kingphillip.

I have Completed the application using Appcelerator's Titanium.

But still unhappy with what i did cos it is very unprofessional to use PHP for desktop programming. trying to learn python to redo the project again... btw it would still be helpful if someone suggests me an easy procedural way of desktop programming.

procedural programming vs. oop programming is a way of programming, following certain philosophies and patterns.  You can for instance use objects in php but still program in a procedural way (which is what a lot of people actually end up doing, because they fail to understand what it really means to program oop style).

The point I'm trying to make is that if you need to go learn some desktop application language like c++ or java or vb or delphi or whatever...you're going to have to go through the motions of learning the syntax regardless, and if you're set in stone about doing it procedural style, then just...do it procedural style. 

On that note, since you seem to know php, I would suggest you go for c++ since that's what php is written in.  You (should) be able to pick up on the syntax rules a lot faster.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.