Random ideas for random web tools.

Ninjakreborn

Starting up a bunch of random tools.  Just curious if anyone had any web tool ideas they wanted to toss around (That they are not wanting) or wouldn't mind having.

I am talking about pretty small tools.  Onces that can function in 1-2 pages.  Anything considered "small" tools.  Is there anything you would have like to have

seen at some point, or think might be pretty useful?

I'm not sure what you mean by tools, however mashup projects are always nice to work on. Intergrating one or more API's is always a popular requirement i.e.

Use the Google Maps & Flickr APIs to display photos of a location when I click on the map. Also display links to wikipedia that contain more information.

Use the Google Maps API and various transport feeds to give me information on train times, add markers to specific public transport.

pig latin generator, contact form generator, mobile directions

mmmmm. I definately think that functional code that works with popular API's is what people want the most. In the past I certainly have tried to hunt down stuff. The reason being is that API's can have a massive amount of documentation and some people just don't have the time to read or it is too complex. However if they had a complete script they may be able to see and understand how the API is used.

I'll give you one that people always ask for and that is code to integrate Paypal Website Payments Pro. The documentation is complex however the complete code is not, it just seems like it should be. The code examples that they offer are rubbish, often out of date and incomplete.

Another is Google Base where the API allows you to add products from your e-commerce database into their shopping results. Maybe a tool that creates a data feed from CSV, or text file would be useful.

Any scripts that work with API's to help users are worth working on.

There we go, now I am getting some ideas I can work with. Been sitting for weeks trying to think of something.  I am going to work up some stuff based off of those ideas.  I will try to get a few of them together.  If anyone has more ideas, feel free to throw them out there too. Going to see what all I can create with the API's, and try a the random string generator idea, and see what I can form with the other ideas you threw out there.

Thanks again by the way.

How about something along the lines of CSS Layout Generator, from user HTML?

A user will input there HTML using tables and such, then use PHP to make that layout CSS'ed?

This is something that I have been interested in, and something that people would most certainly use as CSS has better cross-browser support than crappy tables etc.

It would be a nice challenge, although 'maybe' lengthy :)

Just a suggestion.

Regards, PaulRyan.

Not a bad idea.  Then I could give them a variety of misc options they can choose regarding their styles.  I might PM you about that for some additional feedback once I get started on it.

I know that the phpfreaks community would help with this. I had been spinning my heels on this. I did a basic contact form generator, which is continuing development..I had a lot of ideas for one of those.  Also did a basic pig latin generator, which I am going to make better.  Was looking for some extra ideas.  You guys have given me a lot of feedback for my next 3-4 tools.  Thanks again.

I am actually in the process of implementing 3-4 of these ideas.  The one that was also interesting was the CSS layout generator.  Can you give me more feedback on how you would envision that. I mean someone would upload a HTML file. Would have to validate correct XHTML, if not do some correction on it (perhaps running Tidy on the file or something) and then go through and do some CSS applying.  Generating CSS for a specific XHTML structure, for a specific purpose would be easy..that hard part will be figuring out the myriad of different things someone can want.  So what was some more of your feedback on the CSS layout generation.

Nevermind, I see what you mean. have a text box for header, text box for footer, and text box for sidebar, then perform automatic CSS variants on them. Not a bad idea. Might play around with that some. OK guys, thanks again. I should have enough ideas here to keep me busy awhile.  I am going to play around with some of these. If anyone else has any random ideas they come up with, it's appreciated.  Thanks again.

• 5 months later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.