Querying multiple tables

pete317

Hi,

I'm very new to PHP and have managed to get through most of the problems I've encountered so far, but I have got to one point that I can't seem to solve.

I have two mysql tables (Categories & Products), I have a page that shows the categories (generated from the categories table) and when a category is selected it lists the products in that category.

Due to stock etc. not all categories always have products associated to them.

The Category & Product Tables are automatically updated, so what I need to do is only show categories that have products associated to them, both tables have a column category_no, and nothing I've tried so far seems to work.

The code I have so far is:-

Require_once('config.php');

Mysql_connect(db_host, db_user, db_password);

@mysql_select_db(db_database) or die( "unable to select database");

$query="select * from categories";

$result=mysql_query($query);

$num=mysql_numrows($result);

Mysql_close();

Thanks

Pete

MAQ - sorry, first post, didn't realize.  The Query does work, $num is then used for the output and what's displayed, filtering what's displayed is what I need to do..

Pikachu2000 - As I said, I'm very new to this and that may work, but it means nothing to me???

MatthewJ - I'll have a try at that and see how it goes, thanks.

Pete

If category_no in tbl_categories doesn't match with any category_no's in tbl_products then remove from results.

Then only match on that condition.  Something like:

SELECT * FROM tbl_categories tc LEFT JOIN tbl_products tp ON [whatever_field(s)_you_join_on] WHERE tc.category_no = tp.category_no

If category_no in tbl_categories doesn't match with any category_no's in tbl_products then remove from results.

Then only match on that condition.  Something like:

SELECT * FROM tbl_categories tc LEFT JOIN tbl_products tp ON [whatever_field(s)_you_join_on] WHERE tc.category_no = tp.category_no

Thanks, I'll have a play with that tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Pete

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.