What program do you write your php code in?

cunoodle2

((this MAY be the wrong forum but I'm not sure where this would go))..

I'm curious to see what program you guys do your actual programming in.  I just started using Notepad++.  It works pretty well.  My issue with it is that it easily updates the remote file (on the webserver) but does not necessarily update the local file in all cases.  Does anyone have any suggestions on a good php programming software to use?

Depends entirely on your project size and complexity.

for small simple projects or learning to code: notepad++

for larger projects with maybe 2 or more people involved you'll want a complete IDE package such as eclipse to organise the project and keep it clean.

In your opinion. I use vim, and all changes are tracked and branched through Git.

Depends entirely on your project size and complexity.

for small simple projects or learning to code: notepad++

for larger projects with maybe 2 or more people involved you'll want a complete IDE package such as eclipse to organise the project and keep it clean.

In your opinion. I use vim, and all changes are tracked and branched through Git.

Yes all opinions of course.

Every IDE is slightly different, and you usually have to learn the interface to use it fully, finding features as simple as search/replace can be longer than expected in an otherwise unknown IDE. Notepad++ is a very neat and small package with limited features, it helps new users learn simply because it has less features - coding manually instead of auto-completion will help a lot in the long run.

If you're making a guestbook etc, use a lightweight editor, else if your looking to build a sizable project such as a forum or content management system then you should use a more extensive IDE.

Most features of advanced IDE's will seem completely unknown to you until you learn more PHP such as OOP concepts and MVC style Frameworks etc.

Try them all, and find one your comfortable with, there are plenty of sites on google that has tables of the latest IDE's with a feature-set to compare what you want/need.

hope this helps

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.