Prototype & Jquery.min

Mahngiel

Being a coding hobbyist, I've always done things from line zero.  I may look at templates and tutorials, but I always key every code in.  This got me thinking about the huge libraries prototype and jquery.min javascripts.  I've noticed many-a large corporate sites use these libs, my most recent find was PizzaHut.com.

So my question to you is two-fold.  Do you use either/both of these scripts? and Do you code professionally or as a hobby?

Thanks, discuss.

Definitely :)

The biggest drawback for using these libraries (the size of the framework) is now basically gone. The majority of people who use them link to Google's CDN copy - http://code.google.com/apis/libraries/ - these are then cached on the users computer and don't need to be requested or re-downloaded if they have visited a page linking to it before.

I use them both at work and for personal projects. The greatest plus point about them in my opinion is that you don't need to worry about cross-browser compatibility - a tedious task for any developer! They're also well-written (the top few at least), so there's no real bloat or performance issues with using them. Every aspect of them just makes things easier though. It doesn't mean you lack the ability to write quality JavaScript, just because you use a framework.

Very interesting, and makes a lot of sense. 

What put me off initially was the need to learn the framework.  Of course, I understand the concept, but it seemed (at my inept level) more work to learn how to use the api than learning to put the scripts together myself to understand the functionality.  Of course, using a pre-built library doesn't do anybody any justice when trying to learn.

Thusly, I brought the question to you guys here.  It makes sense that once you already know what you're doing, to use a lib that has pretty much done all the work for you, all you need to do is define some inheritances from it.

Anybody have any differing opinions on these libraries?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.