my first 'class'

ginerjm

ok - I lifted some code to help identify the client's browser (damn iphone doesn't like my "select" tag).

The code was this class definition and was followed by a couple lines showing how to use it.  Here are the two lines:

$browser = new Browser ; 
echo "Using: $Browser->Name $Browser->Version" ; 

When I include the class and add these two lines to my script all I get is the word "using:' displayed.

Is it possible that the writer of this code left something out?  I don't know what the syntax of the  "x->y" references are, but shouldnt' there be a call to functions within the class?

Since you are using the variable $browser to refer to the class, you need to use

<?php
echo "Using: $browser->Name $browser->Version" ; 
?>

If you had named your variable $Browser, the original code would have worked.

Ken

I just came back online to post that I had solved this - only to see the very first response telling me the same thing.

The code was all lifted from a posting I found online, so it wasn't my fault.  I did finally see it though after doing some reading on how classes worked.

Thanks for the quick response tho!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.