intimidating to learn

azdrian21

I think we've all felt that way one time or another.  A few things to consider:

Everyone started as a newbie.  Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerberg, everyone.  The best and brightest in the industry started from zero and worked their way up to the top.  Even the certifiable geniuses have had moments where something did not make sense, or when they felt it was impossible to complete a certain project.

There is a lot of information to learn.  That's why the people who hone their skills get paid the big bucks.  Just about anyone can look up a tutorial, write a few slapdash lines of code in a text editor, and call it a day.  Doing it right takes time and effort to learn, and the process can be slow and arduous.

If you're serious about web development as a career, you're never going to stop learning.  New languages come out every decade or so.  New techniques come out all the time.  Browsers add more capabilities.  The HTML and CSS specifications change.  No one knows it all, and no one ever will know it all.  Your goal shouldn't be to become awesome in all things, but awesome in the parts of development you like while at least having an understanding of the broader picture and how it all fits together.

Becoming a developer can be a humbling experience.  I dare say that it should be.  The good developers understand that there's always something they can do in order to improve.  Being open to that idea, and understanding that gaining skill is a process, will take you far.  Certainly much farther than believing there's some ultimate peak and nothing beyond it.

have anyone ever experience  being anxious to build web applications/websites but is feels sometimes intimidating to learn the skills required to build them.  just want to hear everyone opinion.

oh yeah definitely, but once you learn it is definitely worth it if you are passionate about it

YEAH i am passionate about web development .i have tons of books and resources  on it  but just dunno where to start lolz .thanks for the opinion guys.so much to learn but will get there someday!

yeah currently am learning php and MySQL using PHP for the web by Larry Ullman,a good book. practically i know the basics already i decide to revise them so i can have a good foundation of the basics then build on that. then again sometimes i'll feel to run ahead and skip chapters of the to build the sample application it provides.lolz guess am impatience. 8)

Make sure you read it all. If you skip ahead you'll miss the theory and explanation behind it, and although you can produce the final product you still won't how or why you're doing it like you are.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.