Empty page outputting "0"

nx2wes

I'm running into a weird problem I've never experienced before.

I recently switched to Netfirms hosting... I'm running PHP5.  Now, for some reason, any blank pages with PHP tags are outputting 0.

So, for example,

<?php ?>

will output

If there's any output whatsoever, this doesn't happen.... So

<?php echo " "; ?>

outputs

This also doesn't happen with blank HTML pages... they just output a blank page, no 0.

This is screwing with my AJAX by making 0s pop up when there are no search results, etc.

I can modify my PHP.ini, but I have no idea what settings, etc., could be causing this behavior.  I appreciate any thoughts or help.

If you post some of your code it may help. I have never really seen the "0" output, but the context can help. If all else fails, is there a problem just echoing a blank space?

<?php
echo ""; // or echo " ";
?>

Or another option is just check for "0" in your ajax script and handle it properly.

Thanks for all of the replies.  I've sent a support ticket to my host; I'll let you know what they say.

After a little more exploration, I'm inclined to agree that this is probably an Apache issue.

Looks like I was putting a space in my test blank HTML page.  Once I removed that space, Apache returned a 404 error on the blank HTML page.  So, it looks like the server is configured to throw a 404 error for empty pages.  I'm guessing this has something to do with the "0" on PHP pages.  For some reason, when a page is sent through the PHP parser it's stopping the 404 error but returning a "0" when the parser output is empty.

@premiso: Echoing a blank space works.  I'll have to use that as a temporary work around for now.

For an update:

My host basically denied that the problem exists (??).  It's not worth the fight, so I just implemented two work-arounds:

1. Echo " " on PHP pages providing AJAX results

2. Javascript checks for "0" and converts it to ""

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.