Editing Threads

Hi there,

I have posted some threads on this awesome forum of yours to get assistance with coding. It has been of the most help. I am currently getting ready to launch my website, and I realized that on the threads I posted I forgot to remove the name of my website. I am not requesting deleting the threads as that would be very unfair to you. I would just appreciate the chance to remove the links to my website in my posts.

Thanks for your time

There is a time limit on when you can edit posts to stop confusion. There is also a pretty clear warning about content not being removed just prior to posting. if you don't want something to appear on the boards, don't post it.

• 2 weeks later...
I realized that on the threads I posted I forgot to remove the name of my website.

Just out of curiosity: why would you want a link to your website removed? What damage does it do if it remains?

@Thorpe:

In case you missed it (I posted it in a thread that actually was about another suggestion), but I'd think people would be happy with being able to edit their message until the next message in that thread is posted. In stead of being able to edit it for just a few minutes. Better result, happier people, I'd think.

Just out of curiosity: why would you want a link to your website removed? What damage does it do if it remains?

Some people post links to their clients sites asking for help when they get in over their heads and then clients realize how they can't do what they promised. Another reason is because they never/couldn't fix problems on the site and the exploit still exists.

• 4 weeks later...

Editing posts can be very useful.

EG for example when I first posted I just said need help building data base in MYSQL thread which later it was moved to application help. Now I would have loved to have added in (for a mmo skill builder) so people could see right away. Also being able to edit posts stops people from bumping their threads if they have waited to long and there has been no answer in their thread yet.  I have run into this a few times.

I think Frank P pretty much nailed it in other regards.

Editing posts can be very useful.

EG for example when I first posted I just said need help building data base in MYSQL thread which later it was moved to application help. Now I would have loved to have added in (for a mmo skill builder) so people could see right away. Also being able to edit posts stops people from bumping their threads if they have waited to long and there has been no answer in their thread yet.  I have run into this a few times.

I think Frank P pretty much nailed it in other regards.

Edit: also I do not see how it can cause confusion when there is a simple show posts button in a users profile , and the  show new replies to your posts at top of page. Making the show your posts option more accessible under the persons name where is says

(show unread posts since last visit)

(show new replies to your posts)

would probably be a lot easier.

The confusion occurs because almost all of the edits that we see alter the meaning of the initial post, such as what the question or code actually is. This results in the people that are trying to answer that initial question look like fools because their answer doesn't match the now altered question. It also wastes the time of those making replies by causing them to be chasing a wild goose of a question.

Short answer: If the initial post is lacking in information or is poorly stated or wrong (make sure before hitting the submit button), add a reply that clarifies the information so that an accurate history is maintained of the posts/replies in the thread.

The time limit on editing posts is not an arbitrary decision, it is based on seeing thousands and thousands of threads where people try to answer the question that they see posted. Altering that question after you post it kills the chance of getting people to continue helping you.

Hello jondoe, A few more notes:

- People bump their threads after X time to move the thread back to the top of the list, so that people can see the thread.  This is especially useful if you do not get a response for a while and the thread moves to the next page. You are allowed to do this, within reason, and in fact, we prefer this over making a new thread asking the same thing just to get it back on top (also note: We will issue warning for double posting, but not bumping threads if it is within reason).  If you edit a post, it does not refresh the thread position, so being able to edit posts will do nothing for bumping threads.  Rephrasing for clarification is good and all, but if the thread remains on page 3 or w/e, your efforts would be fruitless.  Therefore, bumping a thread with a followup post is the best method.

- If a thread diverges to another subject worthy of being in a different forum (or even if it's within the same forum), the best course of action would be to make a new thread that stands on its own.  If you have another question, even if it's related but not the same, make a new thread! 

- By far most "edit my post" requests have to do with removing something.  For instance, look at this very thread: the OP asked for help a while back and included his website info, and has asked for those references to be removed.  Actually it's usually not something specific like website links or passwords; it's usually "delete my whole post/thread".  And 99% of the time the reason is "I don't want clients/customers/bosses being able to find out I had to ask a question somewhere."  You aren't even making a case for requests like these, but to restate what thorpe said, we usually do not honor them because we have rules clearly posted that we do not delete content, even in red letters above all post buttons.

@ john I know what bumping and dbl posting is I am a mod in several forums , and are usually frowned upon in ours. I was just trying to make a case for my instance as my thread was moved and now the title does not really fit the subject.

@ PFM (almost wrote PMS ;) I understand where your comming from in that instance and I guess I will just leave this alone now.

Now on the other hand where do I go about asking for an edit ?  Cause my instance and reason for my post has changed , or should I just make a new thread in the application section.

Thnx for the friendly debate and answers.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.