Possible for a website to only be accessed by a link or typing the url?

Bentley4

Any sufficiently motivated search engine bot is indistinguishable from a normal user.

For the Lawful Good ones you can use a robots.txt in the root of your site with

User-agent: *
Disallow: /

For the others you'll have to do user-agent checking and use IP address bans.

But why don't you want search engines crawling the site?

Actually I'm not even going to use it for friends, just for people I don't know yet that I want  to show my profile in a non-work related context. (different structure of website, work: more emphasis on skills, non-work: more emphasis on intrests and hobbies.)

I also have a public one that everyone can look up, which gives less detail.

If that is the case I don't understand the following: I have a www.myname.info page. I have never linked to it anywhere and I'm pretty sure noone ever has because its relatively new and is blank.

Yet when I type 'myname' it comes up as the 6th search result on google. I also have a flickr account with my name recently created, it contains no photos, haven't linked to it and I don't understand why anyone would link to it if it's still blank(so I assume noone did.) I can also find this account by typing in my name.

Yes, but obscurity is not security. If the names are predictable like "admin" or "www2" or "private" then simply not linking to them doesn't guarantee (but greatly increases the odds) that they'll stay hidden.

Also: somebody else might, for whatever reason, link to whatever "hidden" page on your site they want. Can't defeat that.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.