Some questions about selling stuff

scootstah

I've been toying with the idea of putting some stuff up for sale. Stuff like templates, random graphic design stuff (icons and such), and some of the projects I've been working on.

Basically I would just throw this stuff up on some ecommerce platform and let people buy it and download it. They would have really lax licensing, so no recurring fees or limitations and such. They buy it and own it forever.

So then my question is, is it a bad idea to just throw this up as "some guy selling some stuff on a website", or should I go through all the hassles with making a business name and all that jazz? I'm not 100% on how this stuff works. It would definitely be nothing on a large scale. I'd be doing excellent to get 5-10 things up.

Or should I just stick to using services such as Themeforest to sell stuff?

Your going to need to go through some type of service to get this to work at all. People like to be able toi compare products, and having a web site with 5 - 10 templates / scripts / stuff isn't really going to attract any attention.

I was going to do that as well. The thing is though that I have a pretty specific niche and there isn't a whole lot of competition anyway. Plus, most of those services take a pretty hefty chunk of profit from sales.

It's not to live off, just some disposable income on the side. If I made a couple sales a month I would be happy.

I've never sold anything in this fashion before though, so I'm a little unsure how the process works ... like if I need any licenses or permits and such.

Be aware that normally with those sites, if you don't sell it exclusively on their site you get even less profit. For example, with Themeforest you typically get about half to 3/4 the profit by selling the items exclusively... whereas if you  if you don't, then you only get about a third of the profit.

Be aware that normally with those sites, if you don't sell it exclusively on their site you get even less profit. For example, with Themeforest you typically get about half to 3/4 the profit by selling the items exclusively... whereas if you  if you don't, then you only get about a third of the profit.

That's where subtle variations come into play. :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.