Help on arsort

samshel

Hi,

Following is the problem i am facing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have an associative array:

array(5) {
  [66]=>
  int(1)
  [244]=>
  int(1)
  [181]=>
  int(1)
  [256]=>
  int(1)
  [233]=>
  int(1)
}

If i run arsort on this array, it returns me the following result:

array(5) {
  [233]=>
  int(1)
  [256]=>
  int(1)
  [181]=>
  int(1)
  [244]=>
  int(1)
  [66]=>
  int(1)
}

Since values of all elements are same (1), it should return the array as it is. However looks like arsort reverses the order of elements if the values are same.

Above example is just one use case. In cases where the values are different, it returns correct results.

That's because arsort reverses the order. By what you've said it seems you want to use asort()

Also check the user contributed notes on the asort() page on the manual, it seems somebody posted a workaround using array_multisort that would do exactly what you need.

source:

http://php.net/manual/en/function.asort.php

Since values of all elements are same (1), it should return the array as it is. However looks like arsort reverses the order of elements if the values are same.

PHP makes no guarantee what order elements end up in if there values are the same:

If any of these sort functions evaluates two members as equal then the order is undefined (the sorting is not stable).

If for some reason you need them to remain in a particular order, you'll have to sort them some other way.  I don't see how it should make any bit of difference though.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.