wifi to lan

anatak

I have a Broadband connection now from the broadband router I have a 4 port switch and I use that to connect 3 computers to the internet and to create a lan.

I would like to get rid of the broadband connection and get myself a portable wifi device.

Does anybody know how I can connect the router to the wifi device ? I don't want to install wireless network cards on all 3 computers here.

Basically I am looking for a device that plugs into the WAN port of the router and that acts like a wireless network card.

best regards

anatak

My phone becomes a wifi hotspot to my 4g broadband with the carrier's tethering option.  I think it's good for 8 or 10 computer connections.  There are also quite a few mobile wifi routers available, designed for just your situation.

the wifi device does not have an ethernet out port.

I know the speed will be slower but that is not a problem for me.

I pay now more than 60 dollars a month for my internet connection and the actual speed I get is a fraction of the advertised speed

the wifi will deliver about the same speed I guess.

I thought they made little wifi-to-ethernet adapters for connecting things like game consoles or printers via wifi that were not too expensive.  I can't seem to find anything at the moment though for much less than $40-$50.  For that price you'd probably better off just buying little wifi cards or adapters for your three computers.

Here's a list of options from newegg.  You'll probably want to check specs and read reviews.

The first one on the list (EDIMAX EW-7228APn) says it has a 5-port switch, so you could replace your existing switch with it probably if you wanted.  Has an average rating. 

If you want to keep your existing switch, you can just plug the ethernet cable from the wireless AP into a port on your switch.

no my router does not have wireless and the broadband router I have now will be gone.

I am basically looking for a switching hub that can receive a wireless signal and then distribute it over ethernet

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.