What kinds of single-user apps have you guys made for yourself/friends/family?

scootstah

What kind of random proprietary-esque apps have you guys made for yourself or friends/family?

I've made two for my girlfriend: one is a simple little finance/budget manager and the other is a card organizer for her Pokemon card collection; which lists all of the cards she currently has (and quantity) and also a wishlist for cards she wants.

in the past i have made a site that stored all the insects i had caught, and put them into the correct order/family/species/genus kinda of thing, but it was classic ASP, so long gone now!

not sure if this chemical compound quiz counts as an app?

its still in development, currently though im in the process of converting what i have done to codeigniter, as building my own mvc framework was too much effort!! : http://ethickink.co.uk/elemental/

I have a script that download my mutual fund finance data from the bank's site each morning and makes pretty graphs for me.  I check it once in a while to see trends.  I have data going back to late '09 that I can graph.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=359785.0;attach=18444

Current trend is not so good :(

I also have a script that will check the vudo 99c movie of the day and email me the info each morning so I can see if it's anything I want to watch.  Saves me the trouble of remembering to go to the site and check.  This one I actually put on my site with the ability for others to add themselves to the list just for the heck of it.  Nobody actually has which is pretty much what I expected heh.

I used to have other little apps I'd made but don't use them anymore, still got the code for most of them though somewhere.

- UAccess -- Written in C using GTK+ this app was an always-on-top textbox that sat at the top of the screen.  you could configure it to do things based on what you typed.  By default it would open the browser to a google search of whatever you typed.  I defined other things like a define: trigger that looked up the term in the dictionary.

- EasyDict -- Used by the above, it was a small C/GTK+ tool that looked up a word and displayed the results.

- Splitter -- Would take a large file and split it into multiple files of a specific size.  Created this when I needed to move data from the PC's in the school's lap to my PC (no internet in the dorms at the time) and the only method available to me was a floppy disk.

post-128557-13482403546627_thumb.png

- Splitter -- Would take a large file and split it into multiple files of a specific size.  Created this when I needed to move data from the PC's in the school's lap to my PC (no internet in the dorms at the time) and the only method available to me was a floppy disk.

Why didn't you use a compression utility like 7Zip or WinRAR to create a split archive? Seems like it would have been easier. :P

Why didn't you use a compression utility like 7Zip or WinRAR to create a split archive? Seems like it would have been easier. :P

Didn't have them.  Don't think I even knew of 7zip at the time (this was '03ish) and I knew WinRAR would do it but thought (assumed...probably) it was windows only and my desktop was Linux.

It's not really that hard to make a file splitter anyway, only took like 30-45 minutes.  Eventually I got a 128MB thumb drive to use and the next year they put internet in the dorms so only used it a couple times really.  Now days I use 7zip if I need to split something.

I made a recipe app once. Stores all my wife's recipes, she can search them, share them with friends via email or facebook, get a random one emailed every morning, etc. Planned on putting coupons and price comparisons in there but haven't gotten around to it.

I actually have no idea if/how much she uses it though lol.

Also, a friend of mine made his wife a flower vase Flex app for valentines day. Delivers a new set of flowers to her desktop every morning. Pointless, but she loved it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.