join queries

searls03

I am not very knowledgeable on join queries but this is what i have:

$sql=mysql_query("select cat.id, cat.subcategory, cat.category, prod.product, prod.price, prod.id, prod.category, prod.subcategory from categories cat
left join products  prod
on cat.category = prod.category
where prod.prodcut='$prodcut' and prod.category='$category' ");

What I need is for a query to run through the database table"categories" picking out all the categories, then based on the category, it picks from "products" with the same category in the column "category".  here is the problem though, I need all the results to display, so there are like 10 categories, I need to see all those categories, then there are multiple products for each category, and I would like all those to display.  anyhelp here?  Am i even remotely close?

I am saying that I would like to use PHP to query the database, I don't want to do it from PHPmyAdmin/Mysql.

so a query like this:

// Query member data from the database and ready it for display
$sql = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM cart where cart_id = '".$_SESSION['cart_id']."' && academy= '$academy' && product123 !=''");
while($row = mysql_fetch_array($sql)){
$product = $row["product123"];
$price1 = $row["price"];
$id = $row["product_id"];
$qty = $row["quantity"];

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.