ltrim negative numbers

computermax2328

Hello Again,

I have a data base that is full of averages, for example (.124). They are stored in the database like this (0.124). Of course without the parentheses on each example. I am using an equation to get these numbers and just for the record the equation is not the problem.

To get rid of the leading zero in (0.124) I am using ltrim. For example:

$num = 0.124;
ltrim($num, 0);

Now my equation is giving me negative numbers, which is fine. The problem is that the ltrim command is not working on the negative numbers. The number I am getting when I output is (-0.124). I want the number to be (-.124).

Any suggestions??

Hi,

first of all, using ltrim with the value of 0 might lead to problems with significant figures (remember, after the decimal point, every 0 is as important as all the other numbers, because it holds a place. Just as 0.3045 != 0.345

Here's what i would do:

Find the negative numbers (preg_match maybe) and multiply them by -1 and then trim the 0 and multiply by negative one again

I'm afraid both of you are wrong. ltrim () will not alter the 0 in the middle of a number, contrary to what jackr1909 stated. Yours, jazzman1, won't do what the OP wants to do.

The correct solution would be to use preg_match (), like jackr1909 was alluding to. Though, not quite in the same way as he thought:

if (preg_match ('/(\\-?)0(\\.\\d+)/', $num, $matches)) {
     $num = $matches[1].$matches[2];
}

I want the number to be (-.124).

I'm thinking, that could be easily done, but you need to put a dot between it.

Create a new variable as string and add it a dot symbol. I don't have too much ideas about it  :(

// negative number
$num = 0.124;
print intval('-'.strval($num*1000)); // prints  -124

Jazzman1: I think you should read the OP again, particularly this bit: :P

The problem is that the ltrim command is not working on the negative numbers.

As for whether or not my code works:

php > $num = -0.123;
php > if (preg_match ('/(\\-?)0(\\.\\d+)/', $num, $matches)) {
php { var_dump ($matches);
php { $num2 = $matches[1].$matches[2];
php { }
array(3) {
  [0]=>
  string(6) "-0.123"
  [1]=>
  string(1) "-"
  [2]=>
  string(4) ".123"
}
php > var_dump ($num2);
string(5) "-.123"
php > $num = 0.456;
php > if (preg_match ('/(\\-?)0(\\.\\d+)/', $num, $matches)) {
php { var_dump ($matches);
php { $num2 = $matches[1].$matches[2];
php { }
array(3) {
  [0]=>
  string(5) "0.456"
  [1]=>                                                                                           
  string(0) ""                                                                                    
  [2]=>                                                                                           
  string(4) ".456"                                                                                
}                                                                                                 
php > var_dump ($num2);
string(4) ".456"

Yes, I know it's an invalid float (integers are whole numbers), but that's what the OP wants.

I don't know who is wrong and who is not. I just said that this is invalid number - -.124

If the OP wants to return a string from number, why should defined $num = 0.124 as decimal, does not make any sense for me, right?

Why is -.124 an invalid number?

There's a very simple solution: str_replace()

Since the values are always decimals less than 1 and greater than -1, you can simply replace '0.' with '.'

echo str_replace('0.', '.', '0.123'); // .123
echo str_replace('0.', '.', '-0.123'); // -.123

Of course this would not work if there were numbers such as 10.123

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.