size variable

stijn0713

something really weird:

i make a password like this:

$passcode = rand().time().

i use this pasword in an email that i send to users and i write away the inactive subscription. Now, i see in mysql that the pasword is always the same: 2147483647. I figured out that it was not the code but because of int(11). But, the strange part is that in the mail:

$message = sprintf("$message", $paswoord);

$mail = mail($email_respondent_on, 'subject', $message)

is also says: 2147483647. Is it possible that the mail function is also configured with max variable size equal to int(11). if so, where do i check that?

These are only temporary passwords right? As rand and time are not good ways of generating passwords...

Regardless, try:

$passcode = rand() . time();

Also, if your database is limited to an int 11, realize you can only generate a random number between 0 and 9 to prefix it with, because time() will generate a number 10 digits long, leaving you with only 1 digit from rand, so you should probably call rand(0,9) or just increase the size of your column to at least int(15).

You should also make sure you limit the length of the variable sent in the e-mail, since if it's longer it won't match your database.

These are only temporary passwords right? As rand and time are not good ways of generating passwords...

Regardless, try:

$passcode = rand() . time();

He's already doing that.

Also, if your database is limited to an int 11, realize you can only generate a random number between 0 and 9 to prefix it with, because time() will generate a number 10 digits long, leaving you with only 1 digit from rand, so you should probably call rand(0,9) or just increase the size of your column to at least int(15).

You should also make sure you limit the length of the variable sent in the e-mail, since if it's longer it won't match your database.

Int 11 does not mean an 11 digit long int. The range of an int (11) depends on if it is signed or unsigned, but either way the upper limit is only 10 digits and if you try to add a 9 to the front of a 10 digit number, that's too big for int (11).

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/integer-types.html

if you don't believe me, you need to learn what binary means.

He's already doing that.

No, not quite:

echo 1 . 2;                //prints the string "12"
echo 1.2;                  //prints the number 1.2

Int 11 does not mean an 11 digit long int. The range of an int (11) depends on if it is signed or unsigned, but either way the upper limit is only 10 digits and if you try to add a 9 to the front of a 10 digit number, that's too big for int (11).

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/integer-types.html

if you don't believe me, you need to learn what binary means.

Wow, okay, yes, you are correct. I was thinking of char and often mix up the two column size methods!

Your example is irrelevant. We're not dealing with a number 1.2, we're dealing with numbers returned by a function.

Run this.

<?php
echo time() . time();   
echo '<br>';
echo time().time();             
?>

My output was:

Furthermore, if you do this:

<?php
echo rand() . time();   
echo '<br>';
echo rand().time();             
?>

You should get something LIKE this:

rand() . time() IS THE SAME as rand().time();

1 . 2 vs. 1.2 is different. PHP assumes you MEAN 1.2. When you have two functions concatenated, you can ONLY mean concatenation.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.