unexpected T_EXIT

totalphpnoob517

Hey guys, I have a total noob question here...the project this is from is my first PHP application and I'm basically learning php/html on the fly.  Now what I want this to do is add the record, show that 1 record was added, and redirect to the homepage but I have an error on line 34, which is

die('Error: ' . mysql_error());

<?php

/* Declare connection variable */

$con = mysql_connect("localhost","","");
if (!$con)
  {
  die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());
  }

/*   Connect to db  */

mysql_select_db("test_db", $con);

/* select db to query  */

/*  SQL to talk to the database   ....need to add date function and date column...  */

$sql="INSERT INTO open_cases (its_rep, case_id, call_type, ret_num, trk_num, rs1, ord_num, gm_num, pk_num, 
gm_num2, pk_num2, gm_num3, pk_num3, gm_num4, pk_num4, gm_num5, pk_num5, gm_num6, pk_num6, valret_num, dmgd, contact, notes, status)
VALUES
('$_POST[its_rep]','$_POST[case_id]','$_POST[call_type]','$_POST[ret_num]','$_POST[trk_num]','$_POST[rs1]
','$_POST[ord_num]','$_POST[gm_num]','$_POST[pk_num]','$_POST[gm_num2]','$_POST[pk_num2]','$_POST[gm_num3]','$_POST[pk_num3]','$_POST[gm_num4]','$_POST[pk_num4]
','$_POST[gm_num5]','$_POST[pk_num5]','$_POST[gm_num6]','$_POST[pk_num6]','$_POST[valret_num]','$_POST[dmgd]','$_POST[contact]','$_POST[notes]','$_POST[status]')";

/*   If query is successfully run, show user 1 record was added...or else show error message.   */

if (!mysql_query($sql)

die('Error: ' . mysql_error());
  }

echo "1 record added";

mysql_close($con);
?> 

<!---     ... Wait 3 seconds, redirect to homepage  --->

<HTML>
<HEAD>
?
<META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh" CONTENT="3;URL=loginsuccess.php">
?
</HEAD>
<BODY>
?
</BODY>
</HTML> 

if (mysql_query($sql,$con))
  {
  echo "1 record successfully added..";
  }
else
  {
  echo "Error performing update: " . mysql_error();
  }

Pardon my noob status, I see by your guys' join dates you are veterans at this, also I appreciate the guidance.  Does this look more on track? (I'm not at work where my database is but when I get there I will run this query and post results.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.