Problems with using DISTINCT

Shadowing

Hey guys im having a issue with getting DISTINCT to work

im pulling 2 columns using pagination

so im counting first and then selecting but it still giving me duplicate owners

SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT owner) FROM planets WHERE id != ''

SELECT DISTINCT owner, homes FROM planets WHERE id != '' ORDER BY homes DESC LIMIT $offset, $rowsperpage

Its a list of planets

players own more then one planet

each planet has a level of homes on them

im trying to grab the players with the highest level of homes in order with out having duplicates.

so like lets say one player is holding 1st and 2nd place of the highest level of homes I dont want it to grab the 2nd place only the 1st.

lol hope that makes sense.

table2.png

that gives me this return

I think its correct but its doing it backwards grabing every users lowest amount

ChristainF: ya i understood you wanted me to write statement but i have no idea :( i couldnt even write it in english so you guys could understand what im trying to do :P hehe

If all you want is the maximum value for each owner, you would use MAX(homes) as mh, then GROUP BY owner. You would also ORDER BY mh DESC to get the result in the order that you want them.

However, if you want the specific row holding the maximum for each owner (perhaps you want the planet name or the row id), you would need to do this - http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/example-maximum-column-group-row.html

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.