Problems Selecting With A Left Join

Shadowing

Hey guys im trying to select a row from table planets where there are no matches between

planet.address and travel.defender_planet

I dont think im using inner join correctly at all here

i'm thinking when you want a return result it wont work when there are not two columns matching in two tables

SELECT planets.address FROM planets LEFT JOIN travel ON planets.address != travel.defender_planet WHERE planets.address != travel.defender_planet LIMIT 1

My end objective is to let me select a row from planets.address where there are no rows in travel table with that address

what i really wanted to do was use a left join in a update. so im updating the row in the same query and also comparing to make sure the row im selecting isnt matching in the travel table.

something like this but syntax is incorrect

UPDATE planets SET planets.id = 4005 LEFT JOIN travel ON planets.address = travel.defender_planet WHERE travel.defender_planet IS NULL

places the players id on the planet to show he owns it

This script doesnt get used much maybe i should just do this with two seperate queries

Thought it would be kewl if it was combinable.

I just started with using joins on my scripts so pretty new to it.

Edited by Shadowing

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.