Normal Query Syntax Not Working, '' For Numeric

LLLLLLL

You clearly have never written an application that uses abstraction and base classes. This is basic stuff.

Now that's chest-thumping!

So the answer is .... quoted columns in the query string. A standard feature in DB engines.

Only in databases that are designed to support loosely-typed languages (like mySql). I have worked with multiple enterprise database engines, that do not support quoting of numeric data-types. Numeric data-types should never be quoted.

As Jessica pointed out, have a look at prepared statements. In order to bind a variable to the statement, you have to specify the data-type. It is trivial to add an additional field to whatever method call you have in order to pass the data types along.

$fields = array('Name' => 'I. M. Noob', 'Age' => 15);
 $types = array('s', 'i');
 $sql = $db->buildQuery($fields, $types);

public function buildQuery($fields, $types) {
 $sql = 'UPDATE myTable SET';
 $ind = 0;
 $sets = array();
 foreach ($fields as $column => $value) {
   switch($types[$ind++]) {
     case 's': $sets[] = $column . '="' . $value . '"'; break;
     case 'i': $sets[] = $column . '=' . $value; break;
     default: trigger_error('Unknown datatype', E_USER_ERROR); return false;
   }
 }
 $sql .= implode(', ' $sets);

return $sql
}

That's not from my library. I quit using generically generated queries a long time ago. A data model (class) that is specific to a particular table knows what columns exist and what their datatypes are.

It is quite common to do this, and not wrong at all. If the application is building queries and doesn't know the column types, this is how to do it.

This is *not* how to do it -- don't pretend that it is.

It doesn't work "as expected" -- it works by accident.

It's trivial to have your DB wrapper consult your schema once.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.