Form Input Submit Sends $_Get Request

nodirtyrockstar

I think I know the answer to this, but am hoping someone can help me.

Here is the button code:

<form action='writing.php' method='get'><input type='submit' class='sbmt' value='Journalism' name='lnk' /></form>

I want the button value to be "Journalism," but I would like it if the text sent in the $_GET request was shortened to four letters, for example 'jour'. I have other links like this one that have spaces in the text and I don't want that in my links.

My goal is to have a link that loads a new script and specifies a single four letter variable. I could use $_POST, but thought I would check with the experts and see if anyone had a suggestion that would work given the current set up.

Can anyone think of a way to make that happen?

Edited by nodirtyrockstar

You'd need to use a JS that intercepted the POST, and rewrote the value.

Though, that said I don't see how this could ever be considered a good thing to do. You're only adding complexity to the whole process, and making it a lot more error prone. What happens if someone has deactivated, or cannot run JS, for example?

Far better to handle this on the server-side, and leave the URL as is, if you ask me.

Edited by Christian F.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.