Storing numbers in a database, separated by commas

slyte33

What I'm trying to achieve is:

I create a new announcement for my game. When players login the game they are right on the announcement page. The new announcements I want displayed in red, and once they've read it, the announcement would go back to normal color.

Each player is specified by an ID. I want the database to update a TEXT with their ID.

Like so:

Player 1 reads it

Player 2 doesn't

Player 3 reads it

so in the database the the "has_read" value would update the type "TEXT" to this:

After it's stored, how would I display it correctly, for example, (completely incorrect since the players ID isn't 1,3)

if (announcements->has_read == players_id)

{

display red announcement

}else{

display normal since they've read it

}

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I hope I made this easy to understand :)

Google "normalization". You don't want to store the data as a delimited list.

I'm not too sure what that means :X

If it means don't store it with a comma, I could do (1)(3) as my values being set.

But if it means not to store it the way I wanted, how could I have each individual player be stored as if they read the announcement or not?

Slyte: It means exactly what she said: "Google (database) normalization". It will give you lots and lots of guides on how to properly structure your data, to accomplish what you want.

stijn: I think you might want to do the same. Will give you lots of useful information.

Edited by Christian F.

Let me elaborate. You should not store delimited ids in a text field as you will end up with a mass of issues down the line. To normalize your database you need to do the following (I am guessing your table / field names)

players

=======

player_id (int)

name (vc 50)

announcements

=============

an_id (int)

content (vc 255)

players_to_announcements

======================

id (int)

player_id (int)

an_id (int)

date_read (datetime)

So if you have 3 players in the players db table with ids 1, 2, and 3 and you have an announcement in the announcements table with an id of lets say 456, if a player reads an announcement you record this by storing a record in the players_to_announcements table. If player id 2 & 3 have read the announcement the data will look as follows:

1 | 2 | 456 | 2013-01-01 01:00:00

2 | 3 | 456 | 2013-01-01 02:00:00

You can then easily query this data to find what players have read each announcement

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.