Need Help running a mysql_query

eldan88

Hey,

I have a table called store names that i am trying to do a mysql_fetch_array on. When i pass an ID in to the where clause, it does the mysql_fetch_array. However when I pass in the second coloumn the store_name it gives me an error saying that there is an unkown coloumn in the where clause?

Below is the code I am using.

$store_name = store1;
function get_store_information($store_name) {
$query = "SELECT * FROM store_names ";
$query .= "WHERE store_name = {$store_name} ";
$result = mysql_query($query);
confirm_query($result);
if($return_array = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {
return $return_array;
}else {
echo "There was an issue reading the store name table";
   }
}
$store_array = get_store_information($store_name);
echo $store_array['username'];

Jessica,

I apologize I forgot to enter the quotes on store name, when tryping the post. The store name is a $_GET value that gets passed in the function. But everytime it runs the query it says it can't find that specific store name in the "store_name" coloumn.

Strike that, read too fast.

Attempt 2: You're sending MySQL a string. Strings need to be quoted. It thinks your variable's value is a column name.

PHP automatically decodes the values in the $_GET (and $_POST) array. Unless you are encoding (via Javascript or something) in addition to what the browser does, there is no need to urldecode() the $_GET (or $_POST) array.

@eldan88

... it says it can't find that specific store name in the "store_name" coloumn

What says that? The code you provided could not possibly be saying anything like that. It is more helpful to copy & paste your actual code, than it is to provide a typed-out example that is something-like your code.

Show us the real code;

Use mysql_error to see the error message (copy and paste the entire message here);

echo the actual query and show us what it looks like;

Maybe we can help.

Jessica,

I apologize I forgot to enter the quotes on store name, when tryping the post. The store name is a $_GET value that gets passed in the function. But everytime it runs the query it says it can't find that specific store name in the "store_name" coloumn.

So....you read my post, said you had already done this, and then in the end that was the problem....

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.