help with hyperlinks

bratsmasher
Go to solution Solved by lemmin,

Hello:

I am having a problem with making hyperlinks to link to the right location. What I want it to do is just add the filename to the end of the first part (C:\php\website\files\insertfilenamehere.jpg). instead, I get something like this: file:///C:/php/website%0Ciles/%7Bwin2010filebutton.png%7D. Why are % signs and more slashes showing up in my file path? Could anyone point me in the right direction as to why they are not showing up correctly?

I would appreciate any help that can be given.

while($row = mysql_fetch_array( $result )) {
    // Print out the contents of each row into a table
	echo $row['file'];
	$inf= $row['file'];

echo "<tr><td>"; 
    echo $row['tfid'];
    echo "</td><td>"; 
    echo $row['lname'];
    echo "</td><td>"; 
    echo $row['fname'];
    echo "</td><td>"; 
    echo "<a href=\"C:\php\website\files\{$inf}\">Link</a>";
    echo "</td></tr>"; 
} 

echo "</table>";

Take the "C:" out of the hyperlink and see what happens. It looks like your computer is adding the "%" in your localhost to add spaces.

Also your link should be..

echo "<a href='php/website/files/$inf'>Link</a>";

If that doesnt work you need to add concatenations to your link before and after the $inf. 

Edited by computermax2328

@computermax2328:

I tried taking out the C:. I am still getting the % signs in my hyperlink. Is there anything else I can do to fix it?

Also, I am not sure what I am doing is even possible. By creating a link to a file on my local computer, can a person remoting into the machine click on those links to open the specific image/file?

Edited by bratsmasher

%20 means spacebar. If you have a space in any folder names or files replace them with "_" 

E.g

The Cat Folder

would be 

The_Cat_Folder

while($row = mysql_fetch_array( $result )) {
    // Print out the contents of each row into a table
	echo $row['file'];
	$inf= $row['file'];

echo "<tr><td>"; 
    echo $row['tfid'];
    echo "</td><td>"; 
    echo $row['lname'];
    echo "</td><td>"; 
    echo $row['fname'];
    echo "</td><td>"; 
    echo "<a href=\"/files/{$inf}\">Link</a>";
    echo "</td></tr>"; 
} 

echo "</table>";

try this
Edited by BradlySpicer

And the answer to your question is no. Because if you send them the web page their computer will be looking for the file in a file path that does not exist o their computer. 

I am not running WAMP or any sort of web server. Due to certain restrictions, I can only use the PHP 5.4 development server for this project. The idea is to create a filing system using a web GUI to organize images, be able to run a search for specific records, and then create a link to send them to the image on the local machine. I am all ears If you have another method to do so.

Thank you to all of you who have responded to this plea for help. Every one of my folder/files are a single word with no spaces (website,php, image, etc). The browser is also adding random things to the link. It should look like this:

C:/php/website/Files/CFRH.png

Instead, I get this:

http://localhost:8000/php/website%0Ciles/%7BCFRH.png%7D

It changes the word files to Ciles, and encapsulates the file name with 7B and 7D. Does anyone know why this is occuring?

Edited by bratsmasher

• Solution

Your URL is being encoded -- probably by the browser; since it is, in fact, a URL, there shouldn't be a problem.

I think the problem you are having is actually with your URL BEFORE it is URL-encoded. Notice the "%7D" at the end of the example you gave? That shouldn't be there. That is the encoded "}" character. Computermax2328 suggested you remove the curly braces and I think they might actually be your only problem.

Did you try his solution?

Another solution that may be more portable would be to concatenate the filename inside your link:

echo "<a href='php/website/files/".$inf."'>Link</a>";

Your URL is being encoded -- probably by the browser; since it is, in fact, a URL, there shouldn't be a problem.

I think the problem you are having is actually with your URL BEFORE it is URL-encoded. Notice the "%7D" at the end of the example you gave? That shouldn't be there. That is the encoded "}" character. Computermax2328 suggested you remove the curly braces and I think they might actually be your only problem.

Did you try his solution?

Another solution that may be more portable would be to concatenate the filename inside your link:

echo "<a href='php/website/files/".$inf."'>Link</a>";

Thanks man! You just solved my problem. It seems like it is a combination of issues that made this one up. The other thing I just realized is that the file path starts from the web site folder, not C:.

Just one more quick question: is there a simple way to convert a file name with spaces into a name without them? I would assume you would have to pull the name into an array and then search for the spaces character by character. Am I on the right track?

Edited by bratsmasher

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.