Spaces in User Registration

DomMarx

Hey Guys,

I'm currently working on a user registration form and everything is working pretty well, except one major problem. The PHP script sees DavidJones and David Jones as 2 different users. So I was wondering how to go about making the registration script disregard spaces so that users don't end up with the same usernames, only with spaces/no spaces. It would get confusing.

So if "David Jones" was already registered and another user was registering as "DavidJones" or "Dav id J ones", then it wouldn't let him.

Thanks!

Edited by DomMarx

Hi Dalecosp,

thanks for chiming in! I've been searching the web for a proper way to achieve this, but I really don't know where to start codingwise. Here is what i've got, but it only checks if it exists without checking spaces.

$query = "SELECT * FROM `users` WHERE LOWER (`username`) = :username";
$stmt = $dbh->prepare($query);
$stmt->bindValue(':username', strtolower($_POST['username']));
$stmt->execute();

if ($stmt->rowCount() > 0) {
die('this user is already registered.')	;
}

I can't seem to find anything on google that directly touches this point. 

Edited by DomMarx

Hey litebearer,

I looked into regex and the link you gave me. Thanks a lot for taking the time man! I figured out the basics of regex syntax, and I am now trying to apply it to a password field. Here is what i've written:

//checks to see if the password field is empty
if (empty($_POST['password']) && empty($_POST['password2'])) {
    echo 'Please create a password.';
    return false;
}
else{
//if the password field isnt empty, it checks to see that only letters/numbers are used.
$pass = $_POST['password'];
    $goodpass = ereg("/^[a-zA-Z0-9]$/", $pass);
    if ($goodpass) {

//checks to see if both passwords match.
if ($_POST['password'] != $_POST ['password2']) {
    die('You entered two different passwords.');}		
}
else{
	echo 'Your password is invalid.';}
}

But everytime I run the function (try to register a new password), I get the 'Your password is invalid" echo. Does anyone know what i've done wrong?

Thanks guys!

Edited by DomMarx

// Password must be strong
if(preg_match("/^.*(?=.{8,})(?=.*[0-9])(?=.*[a-z])(?=.*[A-Z]).*$/", $pass) === 0)
$errPass = '<p class="errText">Password must be at least 8 characters and must contain at least one lower case letter, one upper case letter and one digit</p>';
}

I find trying to get one RegEx to work one at a time works better, also don't hash your password until checking it ;D .

Edited by Strider64

Hi Strider64,

Thanks for the help friend! I implemented your code, which is much better than what I had. For some reason, I keep getting:

'<p class="errText">Password must be at least 8 characters and must contain at least one lower case letter, one upper case letter and one digit</p>' 

I'll try and figure out why that is. Everything seems to be placed in the right order and the hashing is done at the end of the registration function  :happy-04:

What i'm aiming to do it check if the fields are empty, else check if the passwords entered are valid using preg_match, then check if password and re-enter password fields match, then move on to next field(city, work, etc.)

Just in case, here is how I implemented your code:

//checks to see if the password field is empty
if (empty($_POST['password']) && empty($_POST['password2'])) {
    echo 'Please create a password.';
    return false;
}
else{
$pass = $_POST['password'];
    if(preg_match("/^.*(?=.{8,})(?=.*[0-9])(?=.*[a-z])(?=.*[A-Z]).*$/", $pass) === 0)
    $errPass = '<p class="errText">Password must be at least 8 characters and must contain at least one lower case letter, one upper case letter and one digit</p>';
}

//checks to see if both passwords match.
if ($_POST['password'] != $_POST ['password2']) {
    die('You entered two different passwords.');}		

else{
	echo 'Password must be at least 8 characters and must contain at least one lower case letter, one upper case letter and one digit';}

Thanks man!

Edited by DomMarx

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.