Need advice on repositories

toddwebnet

I have a situation with my job where we have software versioning in place.

We are having releases ever 2 weeks to a month.

for example we are currently working on

2.2.1.0 and 2.3.0.0

we have requirements for 2.3 and 2.2.1

any changes we make to 2.2.1 need to be replicated in 2.3

also what is going on is they are going back to previous versions and making other corrections to

and now 2.1.4.1 and 2.1.5.0 and adding a new version 2.1.5.1

this is getting to be a little too much to keep up with and we have a team in china working with us also, and I am working and managing the project files.

we have github as a repository system and have versions for 2.3, 2.2, and 2.1

the idea is that each repository will have the latest of its sub kind

well, we recently released 2.2.0.0 and then started on 2.2.1.0 and then they made a bunch of changes to 2.2.0.0 and then released the package

then the chineese made changes to the files that we broke off (out of repositories) after the package was released and then stuff didn't work because the chineese wanted to replace files from 2.2.1.0 into 2.2.0.0 which may also compromise the integrity of everything.

I got reprimanded for not properly communicating with the chineese to stop making changes...

now, they want to have a separate repository for each an every release

what is the best strategy to keep up with this.

It seems like it is set up to fail and have crossover that is going to break.  I have done the best I can do to keep versions of every system.

am I just in over my head or what?

Edited by toddwebnet

Its pretty hard to tell exactly what is going on but one gleamingly obvious issue is that fact that you seem to be using different repositories for different versions. Your project should all be in one repository, and it should have branches that represent the different development branches of the project.

Another issue, once a branch is tagged, you can not (or should not) ever change the contents of that tag. You need to make another tag incrementing the version.

If you are using tags and branches properly it should be reasonably easy to backport code from one version to another.

thanks for the feedback trq,

well, I think the problem would be solved if they never went back and changed the previous versions/branches.

unfortunately, even today, they went back and made changes to a version that was  versions prior to the most current version.

How do you convince your bosses, Once something is released, it is sealed.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.