thesaurus sql dump

.josh

Okay I have an off the wall question.  Okay go to www.thesaurus.com  okay now that you've been there you get the idea: enter in a word and it spits out a list of synonyms and antonyms, part of speech, and a short definition. Now what I am looking for is some kind of sql dump for thesaurus.com.  I'm not so much interested in the definition or even the part of speech (though the part of speech might come in handy) as in the words themselves along with other words they point to.

Does anybody happen to have one? Know where to get one? Not necessarily thesaurus.com's sql dump; just one for a thesaurus in general.  I mean, I can work out the db structure myself just fine.  And I can spend all day entering in the data manually just fine.  I was just wondering if someone happened to have or know where to find that, offhand. 

Reason? One of my interests in life is patterns in language; the "art" of language, if you will.  And I feel that having something like this to play with might be especially interesting.  I suppose I could just pick up my thesaurus off my shelf and start entering stuff in manually..but that would really suck, lol.

I would look to linux. There is a package called "dict" which checks spellings and offers suggestions if you spelled it wrong. It normally works on the shell - however Im sure you could build a front end to it.

Now - as for thesaurus - Im sure there is a linux solution.
apt-cache search thesaurus
apt-get install aiksaurus
aiksaurus testword

and volia - there is your thesaurus and it outputs other meanings of the testword.

If you dont have root - Im sure you can get the gzip package and install yourself. Finally tie in with web front end.

-steve

[quote author=Crayon Violent link=topic=116012.msg472515#msg472515 date=1164267181]
I suppose I could just pick up my thesaurus off my shelf and start entering stuff in manually..but that would really suck, lol.
[/quote]

Hmm... imagine those people who have compiled a first edition of a dictionary/thesaurus. I wonder what gets people to think "hey... I guess I'll write a list of all words".

because i can't send a query to thesaurus.com to pull words based on conditions i'd like to set. For instance, just for shits and grins if I wanted to do a query to list all words that are 7 letters or have 2+ vowels in them.  Can't do that with thesaurus.com.

It's not some "website" thing I'm going to offer the general public.  It's just my own personal "i'm bored so i want to play around with a really big list of words" sort of thing.

[quote]apt-get install aiksaurus
aiksaurus testword

and volia - there is your thesaurus and it outputs other meanings of the testword.

If you dont have root - Im sure you can get the gzip package and install yourself. Finally tie in with web front end.[/quote]

Did you not look into this??
The gzip source package can be found here:
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/a/aiksaurus/aiksaurus_1.0.1+cvs.2004.03.15+dev-0.12.orig.tar.gz

This has the entire thesaurus in text format.
In the above archive:
/data/0.12-dev/datagen/meanings.text

There are a lot more files including words.txt etc.

Rgds,
steve

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.