Wordpress

Love2c0de

Evening,

Well I've been asked to write a function for a website and it's for a Wordpress website. When I looked at some of the Wordpress PHP code it looks really complicated. Not so much the OO PHP as I'm familiar with the syntax and look of OO PHP but it seems to have it's own 'type' of PHP code (or the plugins do).

Not sure if I can just write a procedural script in a Wordpress website the same as you would for a handcoded website for example or do you have to accommodate any of the Wordpress code/files?

Do you have to include any files?

Do you have to create the PHP file in a certain directory?

Is accessing and returning data from a Wordpress database the same concept as it is for a normal hand coded website?

I've only ever handcoded and never used Wordpress or similar CMS systems so it's all new to me.

Thanks for the reply.

Kind regards,

L2c.

Edited by Love2c0de

Evening Kevin,

I'm waiting on the brief but a general outline is this:

They want a drop-down with a list of cities in the UK. This will populate 10 boxes on the page with prices. Each city will have different prices to compensate added costs so it needs to be dynamic.

My initial intention is to store the cities and prices in a database using 1 table. Setup could be:

id           city             price1ft      price 2ft       price3ft      etc        etc

1       Manchester         26.99          45.99           69.99       etc        etc

2       Edinburgh           39.99          55.99           79.99       etc        etc

It then needs to be further dynamic by adding labour costs depending on the amount of items in square feet. I believe once I have the data from the database I can then use JavaScript to achieve this. When they select an option from the select, I need to query the database for the correct prices and do the above. Thinking of using Ajax but I'm not sure what the client specifically requires at this moment in time so just waiting on an email.

And that's pretty much the gist of the idea.

Kind regards,

L2c.

Edited by Love2c0de

Good morning,

So safe to say I can just write my script as I would for one of my own sites?

Also, what kind of price would you charge someone if they came to you and asked for the same? I've got no way to benchmark prices as this is the first time I've had someone ask me to do a script for them.

Regards,

L2c.

Edited by Love2c0de

I'm thinking it could take around 2-3 hours to write the script and set the database up. Then I need to implement it into the Wordpress website and allow some time for any bugs which may arise. Say 4 hours to complete the whole process.

Pricing by the hour, I would probably charge around £50 which works out at just over £12 an hour. 

That's $84.46 Aussie dollars and $79.70 US dollars.

Does that seem expensive for what's required?

Regards,

L2c.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.