strip_tags?

ginerjm

So I am doing a script to read some emails coming into an address that I have piped to it.  Done this before and had success.  Problem now is strip_tags.  Trying to remove some spurious html codes in the email the easy way or so I thought.  What's happening is this

A line that contains an email address such as this:

is being stripped out to this:

I thought that strip_tags would just strip out the < and > chars but it is not.  Any ideas?

The HTML entities do not come from strip_tags(). Appearently you're also using htmlspecialchars() or htmlentities().

strip_tags() is generally a very poor choice. This function is supposed to remove HTML tags, but it's way too primitive to do that correctly. Chances are it will just mangle the entire input. In your case, for example, it removes the whole e-mail address, which is probably not what you want.

The purpose of strip_tags() is to remove HTML and PHP tags from a string. More information can be found here:

http://php.net/manual/en/function.strip-tags.php

In your case, however, it looks you're running the email address(es) through something like htmlentities() before running strip_tags(). That's where entities like < come from.

If you're just looking to remove some specific characters, you could look into using something like str_replace():

http://php.net/manual/en/function.str-replace.php

The input comes from an email and looking at the raw source I got before I added the strip tags I saw an email address enclosed in < and >.  There was no other function applied to this - I simply thought that I could remove the < and > with this function.  Apparently I can't

Edited by ginerjm

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.