CHURCH WORK-HELP PLZ

sir.harpreet

hi all..

[b]this is a charitable work that I am doing for a church..I am not a PHP professional..[/b]
I am a Business Analsyt, basically,

One church has approached me and have me to develop a library management system.. i am not charging any money from them or anyone associated and have agreed to develop it for free..

I am okkie with all the coding, database development and everything.. i have chosen php for development.. [b]and this is the FIRST time i am using it.[/b]

My PROBLEM is:

I can develop the application but i am not aware of how to run it.. in other words, i do not know how to upload it on a server. plz tell me should i develop the system on server which will host it or shall i develop it on any Pc and then later copy everything on the server.. ooh yes and that reminds me.. can i copy everything (source code-php & DB) and paste on the server.

plz help me in this....
my email id is sir.harpreet@gmail.com

thanks a lot

You have to develop it on your own computer and later upload it to the hosted server.
You upload the files with a ftp-client, thats the software you use to connect to the hosted server, the database is working a bit different the easiets way is probably to write a sql script and run it on the server, but if your hosted server has phpmyadmin it will be a great help for you. 8)

The easiest way is to install apache, mysql and php on your computer. This will make your computer a web server and thus make development very fast.

The second way is to get a web host that has php and mysql. You can then update stuff as you go along. The problem with this is that development is slow as you have wait for it to upload before you fix errors.

To upload data you can use IE6 or a more advanced ftp client.

[quote author=Perad link=topic=116968.msg476935#msg476935 date=1164978376]
The easiest way is to install apache, mysql and php on your computer. This will make your computer a web server and thus make development very fast.

The second way is to get a web host that has php and mysql. You can then update stuff as you go along. The problem with this is that development is slow as you have wait for it to upload before you fix errors.

To upload data you can use IE6 or a more advanced ftp client.
[/quote]
Gross... don't advocate the use of IE for FTP!  Just go to www.easyphp.org and it sets it all up for you, makes it pretty easy instead of having to setup apache, php and mysql (which can be very difficult for those who are inexperienced).  Then all you have to do is develop it :)

For development I would setup my own localhost web server. Then install a version control server (such as Subversion (SVN)) on the remote computer, and the client on your local computer. Then when you finish something commit it to the repository. Version control makes you able to roll-back changes and is especially effective when multiple users are developing on the same project. When you have a finished version you need to get it to the remote server. For that you can use FTP (File Transfer Protocol) or if you and the server uses Linux and you have a shell account on the remote server then you could use scp. FTP would probably be easiest though.

AWESOME GUYS!!!

Thanks a lot for ur comments..

so now i get a picture of how to do the things...

the best option that looks to me is that to create an application on a computer then later make it a web server...meanwhile ill also try easyphp.. as suggested by projectshifter.. to make my local pc a webserver to run a php application - i need three things -apache, php and mysql.. right??? ill install these three ..but is there any specific order of doing that or any particular way of collaborating them??

ill appreciate if you can tell me the proper order--like step wise or any site where there would be proper steps..

thanks a lot guys...

take care

Just installed easyphp on a virtualPC on my laptop due to this thread.  That really was EASY.  It installs in about 1 min or so (approx 30mins total time from download to happy).  I had to change a line in the apache config so it will listen on the ip and now I can get to it with my laptop browser. I can't wait to play some more... This will be a good testing server for my laptop!

Glad I read this thread.

-John

U have to go to the apache configuration file and change the port that it is listening on, u will find the file in this directiv of ur apache installation \Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\conf there will be a file called httpd.conf open it in a normal texteditor and the settings will be in line 53 and 142
change it to a port which is not in use by other programs

Make the php files on your computer and upload them to your server via [url=https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/684/]FireFTP[/url] on Firefox.

NEVER use something as unholy as ie when you are doing work for a church!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.