using set_time_limit()

NotionCommotion
Go to solution Solved by requinix,

Why doesn't the following script timeout and return a fatal error after 2 seconds?  Thread Safety is disabled in PHP (is this what http://php.net/manual/en/ini.sect.safe-mode.php#ini.safe-mode is?)

Also, instead of returning a fatal error, how can I do something else such as just die?  I suppose I could use an error handler to do so, but expect there is a cleaner way.

<?php
echo("1\n");
set_time_limit(2);
echo("2\n");
sleep(4);
echo("3\n");

I guess you need to give it over 2 seconds of actual work to do

Note:

The set_time_limit() function and the configuration directive max_execution_time only affect the execution time of the script itself. Any time spent on activity that happens outside the execution of the script such as system calls using system(), stream operations, database queries, etc. is not included when determining the maximum time that the script has been running. This is not true on Windows where the measured time is real.

• Solution

Originally, I was planning on making the blocking function indefinite, and just timeout the script

Anecdotally and without any sort of source to back me up, you shouldn't do an indefinite timeout on a blocking function. I think that's from personal experience. Do a "long" timeout of less than a minute, then worst case your loop just jumps back to the start and it starts blocking again immediately.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.