Purpose of second argument to PDO::query()?

NotionCommotion

I am looking at some old code I wrote, and I have no idea why I did it.  What is the purpose of second argument to PDO::query()?  Looking at http://php.net/manual/en/pdo.query.php, it doesn't even appear that PDO::FETCH_OBJ is valid.

foreach($this->db->query('SELECT id, name FROM points',PDO::FETCH_OBJ) as $point) {
   // ...
}

Note:

Although this function is only documented as having a single parameter, you may pass additional arguments to this function. They will be treated as though you called PDOStatement::setFetchMode() on the resultant statement object.

Basically it just lets you prime the fetch style of the resulting statement object. I'd say it's really not that useful as generally you'd just use the same fetch style throughout the application and that should be set on the original PDO object using PDO::setAttribute with PDO::ATTR_DEFAULT_FETCH_MODE.

If for some reason I want to use an alternate fetch style, I prefer to just call PDOStatement::fetch directly with the appropriate style.

• Like 1

Thanks ginerjm,  Yes, I am with you regarding the fetch style when used with the fetch method, but wasn't sure when it came to the query method.

Thanks kicken,  I haven't ever depended upon PDO::setAttribute with PDO::ATTR_DEFAULT_FETCH_MODE, however, I always specify the fetch style with my fetch() or fetchAll() (but not fetchColumn) methods, and I guess that is why I didn't recognize it.

Edited by NotionCommotion

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.