json_decode won't work

ramplstilskin

Hello friends.

In my database I have table named "groups" and inside this table, among the others, I have column named "permissions" with a value {"admin": 1}. Now, in my PHP code, when I use json_decode function, nothing happens, function doesn't work and it won't print anything. This is my code:

$group = $this->_db->get('groups', array('id', '=', $this->data()->protyp));

$permissions = json_decode($group->first()->permissions, true);

print_r($permissions);

When I echo $permissions = $group->first()->permissions; (without json_decode), everything works, but when I use json_decode, nothing happens. I use PHP 5.6. Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance

Do you have php error checking turned on to help debug any possible errors?

May I ask why you are storing data in your db in json format?

I am new to this, so I wanted to learn how to give admin rights this way where {"admin: 1"} means IS admin, and {"admin: 0"} means NOT admin, where, I gues, json_decode() should create an array, like this Array([admin] => 1). I saw a friend do it this way, but for some reason doesn't work for me. What is your suggestion, what is the best way to do it?

Read the manual.  Read a book.  Read a tutorial.

Assign users a password and whatever security level you want in a specific 'users' table.  Then when they sign in with a name and password you do a query to find that name and check if the (hashed) password in the table matches the hashed entry of a password they provide.  If they succeed you now have their security level.

PS - did you notice my signature by the way?

Archived