Alternating row styles not working...

Jim R

I have a table created by a query.  Only the odd value is being printed.  Is that because the query just shows one row created for each instance of the search?

.playerTable tr:nth-child(odd) {
	background: #fff;
}

.playerTable tr:nth-child(even) {
	background: #ccc;
}

The query produces close to 60 rows, but only the odd background values are being produced.  

Are the other columns even in the raw HTML code?

If no, then the problem is in the code to output the results and has nothing to do with CSS.

If yes, then I would guess that the alternate rows are not being output as valid HTML.

I'm afraid to ask, but can you post the code to produce the output.

Are the other columns even in the raw HTML code?

If no, then the problem is in the code to output the results and has nothing to do with CSS.

If yes, then I would guess that the alternate rows are not being output as valid HTML.

I'm afraid to ask, but can you post the code to produce the output.

Ha...yes...I'll try to break this down.  There are six columns.  The rows are broken into three sections.  

Header:

echo '<div class="roster">
<table class="playerTable" border="0" width="100%">;

echo '<thead>
					<tr>
					<th class="num">#</th>
					<th class="top">The Top</th>
					<th class="height">HT</th>';

if (current_user_can("access_s2member_level3")){
					echo '<th class="level">Level</th>';
					}
					echo'
					<th class="school">City (School)</th>';

echo '<th class="summer">Summer Team</th>';
					}
					echo'
					<th class="college">College</th>
					</tr>
					</thead>';

This is the body for each instance:

echo '<tr>
<td>';

if ($line['grouping'] =='2') {
 echo $line['rankPos'] . $line['devPos']; } 

echo '</td>
<td class="nowrap">';

if ($line['wpID'] > '0') {
	echo '<a href="/tag/' . $line['wpSlug'] . '">'. $line['nameFirst'] . ' ' . $line['nameLast'] . '</a>';
	}
	else
	{
	echo  $line['nameFirst'] . ' ' . $line['nameLast'];
	}
echo '</td><td>'. $line['feet'] . '\'' . $line['inches'] . '"</td>';

echo '<td>'. $line['level'] . '</td>';
	}

if ($line['city'] !='') {
		echo '<td class="nowrap">' . $line['city'] . ' (' . $line['school'] . ')</td>';
	}
	  else {
	  echo '<td class="nowrap">'. $line['school'] . ' HS</td>';
	  }

echo '<td>'. $line['summer'] . '</td>';
	  }

echo '<td>';
	  if ($line['commit'] == '1') {
	  echo '
	  <strong>'. $line['college'] . '</strong>
	  ';}

echo '</td></tr>';

Use your browser's developer tools (F12) to inspect the table rows and see which css styles are being applied. You might have something that is overriding your row coloring, such as a white background applied directly to the table cells.

I don't see the problem. What's the full HTML output of the table? Have you tried your browser's developer tools to see if/how/what CSS rules are being applied?

Use your browser's developer tools (F12) to inspect the table rows and see which css styles are being applied. You might have something that is overriding your row coloring, such as a white background applied directly to the table cells.

When I change the color of the background, it reflects the change.  

What I was trying to say in the OP was when I apply odd/even, it only produces the odd color.  If I make the odd color black and even white, it produces each row in black.  If I eliminate the odd and even CSS, it reverts back to the light gray.  

<table class="playerTable" border="0" width="100%">

<tfoot>
<tr>
<td colspan="8" align="right">(+) moved up; (d) debut; (s) switched from another position / <b>Colleges in bold print means committed</b></td>
</tr>
</tfoot>
<thead>
					<tr>
					<th class="num">#</th>
					<th class="top">The Top</th>
					<th class="height">HT</th><th class="level">Level</th>
					<th class="school">City (School)</th><th class="summer">Summer Team</th>
					<th class="college">College</th>
					</tr>
					</thead>
<tbody><tr>
<td>1</td>
<td class="nowrap">Jalen Blackmon</td><td>6'1"</td><td></td><td class="nowrap">Marion HS</td><td></td><td></td></tr>
<tbody><tr>
<td>2</td>
<td class="nowrap">Lane Sparks</td><td>6'1"</td><td></td><td class="nowrap">Greensburg HS</td><td></td><td></td></tr>
<tbody><tr>
<td>3</td>
<td class="nowrap">Khristian Lander</td><td>6'0"</td><td></td><td class="nowrap">Evansville (Reitz)</td><td></td><td></td></tr>
<tbody><tr>
<td>4</td>
<td class="nowrap">Luke Lacey</td><td>6'0"</td><td></td><td class="nowrap">Brownsburg HS</td><td></td><td></td></tr>
<tbody><tr>
<td>5</td>
<td class="nowrap">Jaylen Freeman</td><td>5'10"</td><td></td><td class="nowrap">Jeffersonville HS</td><td></td><td></td></tr>
<tbody><tr>
<td>6</td>
<td class="nowrap">Malik Stanley</td><td>5'10"</td><td></td><td class="nowrap">Indianapolis (Warren Central)</td><td></td><td></td></tr>
<tbody><tr>
<td>7</td>
<td class="nowrap">Colton Jones</td><td>6'1"</td><td></td><td class="nowrap">Valparaiso HS</td><td></td><td></td></tr>
<tbody><tr>
<td>8</td>
<td class="nowrap">Naylon Thompson</td><td>6'0"</td><td></td><td class="nowrap">Fort Wayne (Luers)</td><td></td><td></td></tr>
<tbody><tr>
<td>9</td>
<td class="nowrap">Quimari Peterson</td><td>5'10"</td><td></td><td class="nowrap">Gary (West)</td><td></td><td></td></tr>
<tbody><tr>
<td>10</td>
<td class="nowrap">Isaac Vencel</td><td>6'0"</td><td></td><td class="nowrap">Bloomington (North)</td><td></td><td></td></tr><tr><th colspan="7">Best of the Rest</th></tr>
<tbody><tr>
<td></td>
<td class="nowrap">Braden Baker</td><td>5'9"</td><td></td><td class="nowrap">Fishers HS</td><td></td><td></td></tr>
<tbody><tr>
<td></td>
<td class="nowrap">Sean Black</td><td>5'7"</td><td></td><td class="nowrap">Indianapolis (Warren Central)</td><td></td><td></td></tr>
<tbody><tr>
<td></td>
<td class="nowrap">Quinten Bragg</td><td>5'10"</td><td></td><td class="nowrap">Brownsburg HS</td><td></td><td></td></tr>
<tbody><tr>
<td></td>
<td class="nowrap">Gus Ethison</td><td>5'11"</td><td></td><td class="nowrap">Arcadia (Hamilton Heights)</td><td></td><td></td></tr>
<tbody><tr>
<td></td>
<td class="nowrap">Weston Hamby</td><td>5'10"</td><td></td><td class="nowrap">North Manchester (Manchester)</td><td></td><td></td></tr>
<tbody><tr>
<td></td>
<td class="nowrap">Connor Hickman</td><td>6'1"</td><td></td><td class="nowrap">Bloomington (South)</td><td></td><td></td></tr>
<tbody><tr>
<td></td>
<td class="nowrap">Armann Hillman</td><td>6'0"</td><td></td><td class="nowrap">Indianapolis (Scecina)</td><td></td><td></td></tr>
<tbody><tr>
<td></td>
<td class="nowrap">Joseph Phinisee</td><td>5'11"</td><td></td><td class="nowrap">Lafayette (McCutcheon)</td><td></td><td></td></tr>
<tbody><tr>
<td></td>
<td class="nowrap">Cole Richmond</td><td>6'0"</td><td></td><td class="nowrap">Waterloo (DeKalb)</td><td></td><td></td></tr>
<tbody><tr>
<td></td>
<td class="nowrap">Will Shank</td><td>6'0"</td><td></td><td class="nowrap">Fort Wayne (Canterbury)</td><td></td><td></td></tr><tr><th colspan="7">Names to Know</th></tr><tr><th colspan="7" class="region">Region 1 :: North</th></tr>
<tbody><tr>
<td></td>
<td class="nowrap">Dorian Harris</td><td>6'1"</td><td></td><td class="nowrap">Merrillville (Andrean)</td><td></td><td></td></tr>
<tbody><tr>
<td></td>
<td class="nowrap">Tarron White</td><td>5'9"</td><td></td><td class="nowrap">Fort Wayne (Northrop)</td><td></td><td></td></tr><tr><th colspan="7" class="region">Region 2 :: Central</th></tr>
<tbody><tr>
<td></td>
<td class="nowrap">Kyle Chin</td><td>5'11"</td><td></td><td class="nowrap">Morristown HS</td><td></td><td></td></tr>
<tbody><tr>
<td></td>
<td class="nowrap">Mason Gonzalez</td><td>6'0"</td><td></td><td class="nowrap">Indianapolis (Franklin Central)</td><td></td><td></td></tr>
<tbody><tr>
<td></td>
<td class="nowrap">Max Jacobsen</td><td>5'10"</td><td></td><td class="nowrap">West Lafayette (Harrison)</td><td></td><td></td></tr>
<tbody><tr>
<td></td>
<td class="nowrap">Jake Kinsey</td><td>5'9"</td><td></td><td class="nowrap">Middletown (Shenandoah)</td><td></td><td></td></tr>
<tbody><tr>
<td></td>
<td class="nowrap">Cole McDaniel</td><td>5'9"</td><td></td><td class="nowrap">New Castle HS</td><td></td><td></td></tr>
<tbody><tr>
<td></td>
<td class="nowrap">Dylan Ritter</td><td>5'10"</td><td></td><td class="nowrap">Zionsville HS</td><td></td><td></td></tr>
<tbody><tr>
<td></td>
<td class="nowrap">Larry Stone</td><td>5'6"</td><td></td><td class="nowrap">Indianapolis (Attucks)</td><td></td><td></td></tr><tr><th colspan="7" class="region">Region 3 :: South</th></tr>
<tbody><tr>
<td></td>
<td class="nowrap">Cameron Banks</td><td>6'1"</td><td></td><td class="nowrap">Evansville (Central)</td><td></td><td></td></tr>
<tbody><tr>
<td></td>
<td class="nowrap">Brady Hunter</td><td>6'1"</td><td></td><td class="nowrap">Newburgh (Castle)</td><td></td><td></td></tr></tbody></table></div>

Archived