Question about advertising?

Ninjakreborn

I use craigslist, the phpfreaks freelancing forums, some other forums.
Where are some good places to advertise web development, and get a lot of projects.  GetAFreelancer never did anything for me, neither did ScriptLance, or Guru, or any of them, ELance, they are all not helpful, none of them ever got me one project, any advice?

Essentially, I don't. I have a couple of well-developed sites I use to showcase capabilities as advertising, and then rely on word-of-mouth and repeat business (which presently is boooooming).  Do a great job for them and they keep coming back AND they'll spread the word for you.

[quote author=AndyB link=topic=119029.msg486915#msg486915 date=1166399255]
(...) and then rely on word-of-mouth and repeat business (which presently is boooooming).  Do a great job for them and they keep coming back AND they'll spread the word for you.
[/quote]
Heh, free advertising... :D

[quote author=Daniel0 link=topic=119029.msg487134#msg487134 date=1166423982]
[quote author=AndyB link=topic=119029.msg486915#msg486915 date=1166399255]
(...) and then rely on word-of-mouth and repeat business (which presently is boooooming).  Do a great job for them and they keep coming back AND they'll spread the word for you.
[/quote]
Heh, free advertising... :D
[/quote]
That's how we get projects too, we do [i]zero[/i] advertising and always find ourselves very busy with projects booked several months in advance generally! Word of mouth is the best kind of advertising, costs nothing and gives a good indication that you're doing something right :)

I had that, I have a lot from word of mouth, but it's still hard to find new projects sometimes.  I always have them at decent intervals, but sometimes it's a couple of days/weeks in between, then I get hit with 2-3, but then it's back to the same afterwards.
craigslist brings in almost all of my business, phpfreaks.com is hte rest, but other than that, I need some other sources of advertisement.

I don't see "a couple of days/weeks" being [i]too[/i] bad of an interval between winning new projects. Surely it must take you at least a couple of weeks to knock out a single project before you can even start the next one. Unless of course you're only taking on projects that are basic small static HTML sites.

Most standard sized, (even dynamic), projects take me about 1 week. Once the layout, and designs are all done, it takes 1 full week of programming, to program something like a 5-10 page dynamic.  IT's hard to say, www.oakleyhomebuilders.com I built the backend only, just the admin panel for a site that is about to show up on that url, there new site.  THey have these huge entries in the database, I created a full backend, with lot's and lot's of features, it all took me 1 week.
Most projects take me 1-3 weeks max, I haven't had anything take me over 3 weeks in a long time.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.