new project!

xploita

well,i simply was a php coder using php4,but new to php5.
i'm willing to develop a commercial application using php.though about frameworks and considered symfony or cakephp(zend framework still going to change).
now i'm confused as to weather create my application with/without a framework? php5 is cool and the time send learning another framework with all the associated problems i can use to get better in php5.
for a commercial application,will there be any problem if i use a framework? and what about users,will there be any dislikes cause it's developed using a framework?
is it easier to use a framework or not when i plan to distribute the app? will my users face problems if i depend on a specific framework?

thanks alot

If it is a product you will release I would probably say you should create the functions for your application yourself or create your own framework that you can manage. Imagine a bug in the framework that will cause your software not to work. In order to get it fixed you would have to wait for the people who created the framework to fix it, but if you are the author of the framework you can just fix it yourself.

[quote]Imagine a bug in the framework that will cause your software not to work. In order to get it fixed you would have to wait for the people who created the framework to fix it[/quote]

Why? If you can, fix it, then file your patch with a bug report upstream.

Even if you can't fix it. Who's to say some bug in php won't stop your app from working, does that mean we shouldn't use php anymore and do all our web apps in C?

I say the only downside to using someone elses framework is that you may not have as much understanding of its internal workings as you would of that of your own. Its this kind of knowledge that makes adding features much easier.

i really liked the idea of having more control over my code/project which will help in adding features,fixing bugs,updates...etc
but...i really needed to have code sanitization ,which is provided in most frameworks.can i get such classes to add more security to my code !
and as for code separation i can depend on a template engine.

but to do all thise...won't it be close to using a framework anysays !
this is driving me crazy!!

IMO, if you dont fully understand how to fix a problem "under the bonnet" of a 3rd party framework, you should not be using it for client projects.
@Daniel, I semi agree with you - only I've written my own framework recently, and whilst its fun, its far from problem free and is a MAMMOTH job.

Have a look at CodeIgniter (www.codeigniter.com), for ease of use, easy installation and great documentation. If you want something a little more established, CakePHP is good. The reason I suggest both of these - relatively small learning curve, both packed with features, both fairly simple under the bonnet should you need to fix/tweak things, both in reciept of regular updates for bug fixes, etc.

Cheers

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.