XHTML Question I am unsure of.

PeterBubresko
Go to solution Solved by requinix,

I couldn't find a separate forum topic for XHTML, so I'm posting here on HTML.
 I "think" I have over time allowed myself to be tricked into believing, and therefore misunderstood, where and when I should use <HEADER></HEADER> in XHTML. As before and always, there are as many answers as there are questions on the internet. I have been using this error for a long time. I thought it should only be used between <head> and </head> So in one last attempt, I hope to get more unanimous answers here that lead me out of the vicious circle. Now and where is it correct to use <HEADER> and </HEADER> in XHTML? Should those tags be used on one or more elements arbitrarily between the <body> tags, and in which places/tags should they be used.

• Solution

XHTML? No, this is just regular HTML...

<header> elements are HTML 5 replacements to writing stuff like <div class="header">, which means things like browsers and screen readers can more accurately understand the nature of a page.

That means they're geared towards content, not metadata. Which means they belong in the document body.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/header

• Like 1

XHTML was a thing quite some time ago. Modern HTML has the semantic benefits that XHTML (as I understood it at the time) claimed to have, while not being as strict in terms of some of the usage. You'll also find modern HTML referred to as HTML5, though honestly these days I'm not sure if the version number even means anything anymore.

• Like 1